Headlight Buckets

General discussion area. A place to take a break and share your buggy world with others.
Reverb

Headlight Buckets

Post by Reverb »

I have vintage pair of Dietz (painted) headlight buckets that are still in good shape. Would it be better to have these chromed, or just buy new ones. I`ve heard the new ones are thinner metal.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

the ones i got from moore parts feel strong and not junk cost ?17 ea i think
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

They are not really thinner metal just the chrome is not done properly and it peals off. A cheaper way to go is to ceramic coat as Gene C from NorCal did or a silver powered coat.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

The headlight shells on my buggy have been on the buggy for 3 years and still look great. Granted, the buggy doesn't sit out in the weather. I bought them at J.C. Whitney.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

My new buckets I bought from JCW looked great until I spent 24 hours camping on a private beach. Even though I scrubbed the car from top to bottom when I got home, my buckets, front turn signal housing and anything else I bought already chromed is pitted and discolored. In comparison, I had my engine cage, roll bar and some other parts re-chromed during the build. These parts still look new...
bobmanx

Post by bobmanx »

Dennis, I had my original Dietz headlight assy's rechromed here in SoCal. They cost me about $70,00 each. High yes, compared to Taiwan knock-offs, but they are original. And they look as nice today as the day I picked them up at the plater's. 6+ years and holding, no rust, no discoloring, and they are part of an original Manx2. Sorry but I would recomend that you keep the Dietz headlight assy's. If the rechrome is too much $$'s then put the Taiwan's on until you can afford to have the Dietz rechromed, powder coated, etc, or sell them to a Manx Club Member that needs headlight assy's for his/her project. Bob
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

Nothing compares to quality chrome plating.
fubar

Post by fubar »

I have the Empi chrome buckets and I think they are garbage. I would rather have painted ones that were good quality. Main complaint is the way that they fail to cradle the lamp properly, chrome still looks ok but I have not had it on the beach yet.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

What's this "beach" thing you guys keep talkin' about?:D
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

[QUOTE="mkparker"]What's this "beach" thing you guys keep talkin' about?:D[/QUOTE] Salt air from the ocean does wonderful things to cheap chrome parts.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

yes the beach thing is kinda like the mid west thing.. another way at this is buy some real kc.s then use the HI/LOW light from the dual round light car. Real kc's are stainles have have a lifetime on them
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

You can also buy "King Bee" headlights in stainless with H-4 headlights for a around $130.00 from a streetrod shop. This link lists them for $125.00 http://www.freedomstreetrods.com/peterbilt.htm Image
Reverb

Post by Reverb »

Those "King Bee" buckets look interesting. Salt air isn`t an issue in Arizona, but I do plan on hitting the dunes at Rocky Pointe at the beach in Mexico once in a while. Thanks Jerry Wish my engine displacment matched my member number. :rock:
90volts

re

Post by 90volts »

anyone have the little laser stars? trying to find a place that carries them for more info. aren't they billet?
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

Yes they are billet, but I don't think they are DOT approved.