Resorter

How-to building, restoration, repairs, and fun with your authentic Manx!
jsturtlebuggy

Resorter

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Ricky,
I am hoping that Nelson would see this thread and help out. He is very knowledgeable about deciphering the tags.

I don't think it would be a problem with putting emblems on it. Bruce excepts them as his children. (maybe it like the redheaded stepchild)
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
YumaManx

Resorter

Post by YumaManx »

I like the Walnut. I think I'm going to use Mahogany? I don't know who owns the orange car in SJ, but I have some pics my buddy Wayne snapped for me. I will try and post them on thesamba or if you send me an email address I will send them to you. I have trouble posting here.
YumaManx

Resorter

Post by YumaManx »

Thanks Joe that would be great. I can handle it being the read headed stepchild. Haha
YumaManx

Resorter

Post by YumaManx »

Gary, I didn't realize your yellow was a clone? That's interesting for sure.
YumaManx

Resorter

Post by YumaManx »

I would think there would be a little more interest in them for two reasons. True four sweater and ease of entry and exit.
FulsGld

Resorter

Post by FulsGld »

Yep. a lot of folks that see ours really like the low entry. A number have tried it, and they can't believe how easy it is. I probably could have sold 7 bodies by now if I had the mold made when I wanted too.

My yellow one has less fiberglass so is thinner, it doesn't have the glassed in wiring/shipping tubes along the sides, and there is no evidence of a tag ever being installed. It was probably built during or after Bruce had left the company and pushed out the back door (probably why there are so many surf/forest buggies). Otherwise it is just like Diana's Turista. It has a much better body on it and will be the one I use to get a mold made of it.

I love mahogany also...
Last edited by FulsGld on Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gary Berry
Prosser, WA
1971 Turista
1969 ManxVair
Member #1112
YumaManx

Resorter

Post by YumaManx »

I think I will just send ID# to Winnie. She did it for me when we first picked it up. The history is always amazing to me on all the BF Meyers cars. That's the coolest thing about them. I love hearing the stories and the theories on why some had badges, tags etc... I know the tail on the Resorters are great for Corvairs, but it would be cool to see a tradition tail end on them as well.
CairoManx

Resorter

Post by CairoManx »

The Resorter ad in the Feb 69 DB&HVWs shows the Resorter without a badge. However, the article Bruce wrote in Vol 1, No.3&4 of Manx Mania about the Resorter said, "We stuck Meyers Manx badges on them and shared with Bill a 50-50% profit from the deal".

I think the picture showed the prototype Bill Chick and Bill Tritt made. Bruce made the rest of them and he says he put badges on them

YumaManx

Resorter

Post by YumaManx »

Winnie got back to me fast! R= Resorter 0028=28th Resorter Produced F= month of June 9= year of 1969 The next three digits represent the original gel-coat color code, 14F
YumaManx

Resorter

Post by YumaManx »

Thanks CairoManx. That article was great.
CairoManx

Resorter

Post by CairoManx »

There are at least 20 known Resorter/Turistas; #11 and #12 made Feb 69, #15, #18 and #19 made Mar 69, #28 and #31 made Jun 69, #31 made Jul 69, #50 and #56 made Oct 69, #57 made Jan 70, #66 and #69 made May 70, #1036 and #1050 made sometime between Sep 70 and when the factory closed on Aug 13, 1971. There are also five more in the Manx Registry with missing tags.

Here is the rest of the article.

Last edited by CairoManx on Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YumaManx

Resorter

Post by YumaManx »

That article was really interesting. Winnie got back to me and since they came with ID tags they will issue badges. I'm really happy and excited about it. I think it's the right thing.
Ed-Chenal

Resorter

Post by Ed-Chenal »

Thanks for posting.
Ed
YumaManx

Resorter

Post by YumaManx »

Gary, Is the windshield height measurement the same as a standard Manx windshield? If not can you pull a measurement when you have a chance?
FulsGld

Resorter

Post by FulsGld »

Hey, I'll get the measurement in the morning...
Gary Berry
Prosser, WA
1971 Turista
1969 ManxVair
Member #1112