Tow'd Gas Tank

Share with others how to make your Tow'd a prince.
Tom-Szwajkos

Tow'd Gas Tank

Post by Tom-Szwajkos »

My original Tow'd well casing gas tank has a lot of surface rust. I did not want to go through the hassle of machining and welding in a fuel sending unit bung and having the tank interior recoated. I was able to source a spun aluminum center fill gas tank with dual outlet sump, fuel sending unit bung, and 3/8 inch vent for $247.00. Same diameter and length as the original. I will post pictures once I receive it. Keeping the old tank.
hillmotorsports

Re: Tow'd Gas Tank

Post by hillmotorsports »

Care to identify the source?
We are in a similar situation, ours is toast too. Speedway have aluminum or ss units but none with sending units.
Rosemarie and Paul Hill
Morrisburg, Ontario
Canada
613 330 4862
Member #4502
Tom-Szwajkos

Post by Tom-Szwajkos »

The source for the tank is Sandstorm USA. They are located in Kansas. the email address is sandstorm_usa@hotmail.com ATTN: Lisa. Tell her you want the same type tank I ordered. She will provide you with drawing. 35 inch wide, 10 inch diameter, flat indented sides, sending unit bung, sump with dual 3/8" npt outlets, 3/8 npt bung vent, etc. I ordered it with a 2 inch filler neck for a hose versus the standard one with a screw on cap. I plan to use a custom filler assembly versus having the filler neck stick out. The only issue is you will have to create a mounting bracket for the tank straps. I was advised not to weld aluminum right angle material to the tank due to possibility of stress cracking. Still thinking whether I will create brackets on the torsion bar tunnel or weld right angle material to the sides of the frame and run cross bars across the chassis. The center to center mounting dimensions of the tank straps are 4 7/8 inches. My tank is shipping this week. For some reason spell checker is hi lighting the email address. It is sandstorm_

You will need a sending unit with the proper ohms for your compatible fuel gauge.

Hope this helps,

Tom
hillmotorsports

Thanks Tom.
Sent an email today.
Rosemarie and Paul Hill
Morrisburg, Ontario
Canada
613 330 4862
Member #4502
hillmotorsports

Thanks for the help Tom but we're out of the tank loop, at least for now. We found another Tow'd after we realized our frame was beyond help. The po had replaced the tank with an aluminum one.
Problem solved!
Rosemarie and Paul Hill
Morrisburg, Ontario
Canada
613 330 4862
Member #4502