Bud's Manx Restoration

How-to building, restoration, repairs, and fun with your authentic Manx!
surfnc

Bud's Manx Restoration

Post by surfnc »

I wanted to be first to post a build/restoration thread here but I was too slow. Looking forward to Brian's build with Joe's awesome work

Bud had talked to me about doing some work on his Manx. Front end, wiring and possibly bedlinering his chassis. But once I got into it I found some body damage that needed some attention so the restoration was started.

Here is Bud and Sue in their Manx before I started. (actually at MOTB 2013)

(so you can see what it looked like before)

So the first thing I did was take it apart

Here is where it all started. The hood had been repaired by a PO and only bondo was used to fill in the crack. This allowed it to flex and showed up as a small bump in the paint. You could see it if you looked at it from the right angle and you could feel it if you rubbed your hand over the area. I told Bud about it and since it had some other cracks he decided to have me repair the damage and paint the body. While I was at it he asked me to do a flake job on it. So here is part of that story.

I ground out all the Bondo and loose fiberglass.

I then covered areas with fiberglass cloth and sanded it.

I also filled in the hole where the fuel filler was. Then "faired" the areas out.

Then came the high build primer.

The first sanding of the high build primer.

Then the fairing primer that also acted as a base color coat.

Then the flaking.
(You can also see the wire tie anchors on the firewall)

(flake alone has a rough texture)

First few coats of clear. (many to follow)

Then more coats of clear.

(you can see the "orange peel" texture you get when trying to bury the flake)

About 8 top coats of clear, it is mostly smooth as it "flows out".

Close up of rear fender, looking pretty deep.

Next on to the wet sanding and polishing out, bedliner and wiring.

Vince
Last edited by surfnc on Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Siggymanx33

Re: Bud's Manx Restoration

Post by Siggymanx33 »

Looks great Vince….Is that the same color as yours?
joescoolcustoms

Post by joescoolcustoms »

Wow! Another super nice Flake job. Looking forward to seeing it in person.
surfnc

Post by surfnc »

Thanks Dave, it is actually 52P Ocean Spray. It is close but has more blue in it than mine.

Looking forward to your Limetruse Manx!!

Thanks Joe, looking forward to all of your projects.

Vince
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

Vince and I have been friends for a while now but we've never had a business relationship before. I've got to tell you that he makes great recommendations and will execute your plan exactly as you want. Not to mention (and as you can see) does exceptional work. I can't wait to get the buggy back and put the new motor in it - all in prep for the trip to Niagara Falls in June.
surfnc

Post by surfnc »

Thanks Bud! You should be able to get that pin in your Manx. :wink:

Wet sanded and buffed out the hood today.

Not the best picture. Started with 600 grit then 1000, 1500, 2000.

Then buffed it out with a wool pad and polishing compound, finished up with a foam pad and "swirl" remover.

It is difficult to get a picture of flake that shows it properly but this should give a good idea.

I have to go over the body once more then on to attaching the new dash.

Vince
joescoolcustoms

Cool! A long haul dash on a short haul buggy. Who would have thought? :shock:
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

joescoolcustoms wrote:Cool! A long haul dash on a short haul buggy. Who would have thought? :shock:
Yes Joe Wheeler you are correct. A part of our buggy earned it's long haul status before it's owners. That all changes this June. I'm doing the east coast version of the Buffalo Shuffle in my new gem and will be driving to the falls. Better bring your sunglasses if your anywhere near me! :mrgreen:
abgiles

Post by abgiles »

rzeller wrote:
joescoolcustoms wrote:Cool! A long haul dash on a short haul buggy. Who would have thought? :shock:
Yes Joe Wheeler you are correct. A part of our buggy earned it's long haul status before it's owners. That all changes this June. I'm doing the east coast version of the Buffalo Shuffle in my new gem and will be driving to the falls. Better bring your sunglasses if your anywhere near me! :mrgreen:

Bud,
I'm a little confused, or I'm missing something. What's the east coast version? If my class starts later than planned, I'll be driving from Ga, and it's 1005 miles for me. I guess I need to search around a little more to see what groups are heading where.

Vince,
That's some incredible work. Can't wait to see this one!
(Loretta) Manx # M2940D910E on customized 1970 chassis that has been "Wheelerized" by Joescoolcustoms
(Scarlett) Manx Resorter #12 (R0012B931S) on 1969 chassis.
(Gunther) Manx 2 # A0202A035E
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Original Home built buggy that I learned to drive in back in 1995 (the one that started my passion).
Club Member # 4436

Loretta: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... t=3365Manx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
surfnc

Post by surfnc »

Brian,
Thanks for the kind words! The Bud "long Haul" thing is kind of an inside joke at Bud's expense. So he or Joe should explain it.

Vince
abgiles

Post by abgiles »

Vince,
I've been informed. I just thought Bud had found a way to stretch the distance from Wilmington to Niagra a bit to get his pin. Love that this ribbing is still going.
(Loretta) Manx # M2940D910E on customized 1970 chassis that has been "Wheelerized" by Joescoolcustoms
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Original Home built buggy that I learned to drive in back in 1995 (the one that started my passion).
Club Member # 4436

Loretta: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... t=3365Manx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
joescoolcustoms

He has been the "Bud" of many jokes, and has been very good about it. If I get to make Buffalo, I want to be the first to shake his hand once he gets his Long Haul Pin.

I am thinking Bud and Sue will be running up the coast from Wilmington into NY, then turn West to Buffalo. That will stretch it out and make the 1000 mile one-way mark. :clap: I think it will also include some very sweet sight seeing, a run with Farmer John and Paul on a curvy trail through some mountains.
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

joescoolcustoms wrote:He has been the "Bud" of many jokes, and has been very good about it. If I get to make Buffalo, I want to be the first to shake his hand once he gets his Long Haul Pin.

I am thinking Bud and Sue will be running up the coast from Wilmington into NY, then turn West to Buffalo. That will stretch it out and make the 1000 mile one-way mark. :clap: I think it will also include some very sweet sight seeing, a run with Farmer John and Paul on a curvy trail through some mountains.
Joe is correct, I'm hugging the east coast up to my hometown in NY. Then meeting up with at least two others, Farmer John and Paul, to complete the trip to the falls. Coincidentally, it IS 1000 miles :twisted:
abgiles

Post by abgiles »

I'm excited for you Bud. Maybe then they'll stop dogging you, but I doubt it. Depending on my class schedule, there are a few of us that would like to make the trip from the SE corner of GA (Kingsland) and get our pins too. It's 1005 miles from my house to Niagra, and I'm sure we'd detour around some.

Once we get closer to determining if we can go, we will definitely see about timing for meeting and joining you guys on the way.

Right now, I'm slated to start my schooling at the beginning of that week, and am not allowed to miss any days. There's already talk of shifting the schedule, so we'll keep you posted.
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Club Member # 4436

Siggymanx33

Post by Siggymanx33 »

rzeller wrote:
joescoolcustoms wrote:He has been the "Bud" of many jokes, and has been very good about it. If I get to make Buffalo, I want to be the first to shake his hand once he gets his Long Haul Pin.

Joe is correct, I'm hugging the east coast up to my hometown in NY. Then meeting up with at least two others, Farmer John and Paul, to complete the trip to the falls. Coincidentally, it IS 1000 miles :twisted:
As we get closer, I'd like to see about tagging along for the last leg of the trip. I'd be leaving from my house in the Poconos which is about an hour south of your hometown….I think.