Facebook

When it's just not buggy related.
lastmanx

Facebook

Post by lastmanx »

Does this site secretly share content like the Facebook site does ?
5150bossman

Re: Facebook

Post by 5150bossman »

Is there anything specific that makes you think that this site is gathering information on you?
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

no
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

I would assume that most sites use our information in one way or another. That is why we get to use many of the programs on the internet for free. I can't think of many other ways they could make any profit. We freely allow them to do this most of the time when we sign up for a specific web site or app (usually in the fine print that nobody reads). The question is what information are they gathering on us (personal, surfing habits etc.), and what are they doing with that information (profile building, shopping preferences, sale to other entities etc.). While there are ways to mitigate this, if we truly don't want that type of information gathered on us, then the best thing to do is stop using the site (or internet as a whole). But like a drug dealer, they know they have us hooked, and giving up the internet is not going to happen... :crazy: :mrgreen:
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

thank you for the clarification.
MerlinTro

Post by MerlinTro »

5150bossman wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:59 pm I would assume that these weight loss pills work like a charm and most sites use our information in one way or another. That is why we get to use many of the programs on the internet for free. I can't think of many other ways they could make any profit. We freely allow them to do this most of the time when we sign up for a specific web site or app (usually in the fine print that nobody reads). The question is what information are they gathering on us (personal, surfing habits etc.), and what are they doing with that information (profile building, shopping preferences, sale to other entities etc.). While there are ways to mitigate this, if we truly don't want that type of information gathered on us, then the best thing to do is stop using the site (or internet as a whole). But like a drug dealer, they know they have us hooked, and giving up the internet is not going to happen... :crazy: :mrgreen:
Or we can put in some kind of legislation in place that makes sharing certain information illegal. I don't think anyone in their right mind would allow Facebook to track their personal telephone contacts and conversations and share it woth someone else, which is what they're doing.
Last edited by MerlinTro on Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

While I agree that there should be some kind of limits, good luck with that. We can't even get Congress or the FCC to support Net Neutrality to protect the public interest, and the public in general are too busy tilting at windmills to mount any kind of meaningful reform to stop it from happening on our own. :(
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

I will stay off facebook . this site seems harmless enough.