Vacation/tourist Sites To See In LA and up the PCH to San Fr

When it's just not buggy related.
rzeller

Vacation/tourist Sites To See In LA and up the PCH to San Fr

Post by rzeller »

Sue and I are traveling out to LA in July to attend the Big Bear Bonanza in July. We plan to arrive on Wed (9 Jul) and go to Big Bear. After BB is over we are staying another week and would like to hit some highlights in LA and up the coast (PCH) to San Fran. We will depart LA most likely on 19 Jul. I have a few touristy things already lined up in LA (Peterson Museum, the Bonson Caves - gotta see the original Bat Cave, Santa Monica Pier) but beyond that not much. I'm looking for some suggestions from the locals and/or seasoned travelers to the area.

Thanks,

Bud
jsturtlebuggy

Re: Vacation/tourist Sites To See In LA and up the PCH to Sa

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Hearst Castle in San Simeon, Monterey Bay Aquarium, Big Sur and the most photograph bridge north of it, and many other places.
Cannot recommend Glamis or Dumont Dunes because It Is HOT! that time of year. There is Pismo Beach (Oceano Dunes). All are along Hiway 1.
Lake Tahoe and Yosemite Park a couple hundred miles inland from San Francisco.
California has everything, it is why people from back east visit and never leave.
Vegas-Roy

Post by Vegas-Roy »

Bud,
You need to see Pismo, just to say you've been there. The area where James Dean was killed is close to there.
On the Very North end of Pismo is a Best Western Hotel. There is a restaurant that hangs out over the cliff, next door, and has the BEST Sunday morning buffet, starts at 10AM.
Check out Napa, which I liked better than Sonoma. I am not a wine drinker but had a great time there. I did drink a lot of wine though.
How many people are planning to go to Big Bear, from the East?
YellowSafari

Post by YellowSafari »

Stop and camp at Lime Kiln, camp in redwoods stroll on beach. On Highway One.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Limek ... 0a5df58e48
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

Thank you all for the replies. Many of your suggestions we hadn't even consider to this point. Please keep 'em coming smiley: smile
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

Funny you should say that Joseph. We say the same thing about people moving to the south (NC). Of course I'm one of those Damn Yankees they complain about. Born and raised in NY and been living south of the Mason-Dixon line since 1978. I don't think you'll need to worry about me staying in CA. Too many grand kids now living in NC and they need to grow up and enjoy their Granddude and his toys smiley: happy

Post by 1856 »

Bud we'll be glad to show you around the Redwoods...

manxvair

Post by manxvair »

I 2nd the list that Joseph said!

Post by 1856 »

You Can't miss the National and State Redwoods Parks. We can also ofter a weekend in the Redwoods. Stay in a early 1920s redwood cabin surrounded by trees that were here before Columbus Discovered the Americas...

Post by 1856 »

Or you might consider the other end of the state...

Borrego is always interesting

ManxManiac

Post by ManxManiac »

Call & check to make sure that the Peterson Museum is open!!! They are doing a major remodel & moved many of the cars to Simi Valley at the Reagan Library!!! Recently, a friend drove from New Mexico to go there & it was closed!!! There was a notice that there was a collection of the cars at Reagan Library so he went there & was quite happy about it!!! So be sure to check!!!
rzeller

Post by rzeller »

ManxManiac1 wrote:Call & check to make sure that the Peterson Museum is open!!! They are doing a major remodel & moved many of the cars to Simi Valley at the Reagan Library!!! Recently, a friend drove from New Mexico to go there & it was closed!!! There was a notice that there was a collection of the cars at Reagan Library so he went there & was quite happy about it!!! So be sure to check!!!
Our trip was last July '14 and started the Sunday after Big Bear. Turned out the Peterson wasn't open on Monday and we got to LA too late on Sunday to go. Bummer. However, we had an absolute blast right up to the 2nd to the last day when Sue broke her leg. Bummer x 2.

For those that have never driven the PCH, DO IT! Top 3 beautiful sights I've ever seen (and I've been to some nice places). We spent time in and around LA doing touristy things (saw the original Batcave - Bronson Caves, Santa Monica Pier, all those famous streets you hear about - Mulholland Drive, Hollywood Blvd, Sunset Blvd, and many others). Spent 1.5 days in and around Monterey - Big Sur, Bixby Bridge, etc.. Stopped by Pismo Beach, Mavericks. Drove through redwood country. Ended north of San Fran at Ft. Bragg. I'll do the PCH again, but only sections of it. What I didn't know was a lot of it isn't right on the coast cliffs (a good deal is, but not all).

The 2015 edition of the ECVW is planning to drive a section of it. They are in for a great treat.

Ed-Chenal

Post by Ed-Chenal »

Don't tell them about all the good places.....
Ed
Mike1991

Post by Mike1991 »

Consider the Ronald Reagan Presidential Museum in Simi Valley. That's heading to San Barbara from LA.

Great views for pictures and where else will you see a Boeing 747 under glass in the building.