steering wheel problems.

When it's just not buggy related.
L0084MC

steering wheel problems.

Post by L0084MC »

My buggy has a stock ---I think 1963 vw steering column. I have found a steering wheel that I like really well. It matches the color of the buggy very well and has that time period look. It has a 6 hole pattern like a momo or sparco steering wheel. Has anyone had the experience of addapting this type of steering wheel to a shaft that old. I have checked on all the sites and companys and can not find an addapter for the fit.
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

I rebuilt a Manx that was built on a 1957 pan and I could not adapt the steering wheel the owners wanted, using an adapter because the manufacturer didn't make an adapter that would fit the splines on the steering column. I ended up cutting the splines off a Super Beetle column and welding them to the earlier steering shaft so they could have the wheel they wanted. Where there is a will there is a way.
L0084MC

Post by L0084MC »

manxter10 is your column a newer column? I could not find an adapter that would fit my early column. where did you find your adapter? newmanx59, The thought has crossed my mind that I may have to change the complete steering system from the box on up to get this steering wheel to work. but this is the original steering system and I kind of hate to change it. I think it is a 40 spline. It measures .870 inch at the shaft itself and .843 inch at the spline. would that be considered a 21.5 mm shaft?
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

I use a Grant adapter to fit the early column, then an adapter between the Grant adapter and the wheel. I think the Grant part is 3565. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MOMO-Steering-Wheel-Adapter-Kit-MOMO-to-Grant-Hub_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33704QQitemZ190090662083QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V I think Kartek also sells grant to Momo adapters http://www.kartek.com/products/all/steering/momo.htm Image
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

[QUOTE="L0084MC"]manxter10 is your column a newer column? I could not find an adapter that would fit my early column. where did you find your adapter? newmanx59, The thought has crossed my mind that I may have to change the complete steering system from the box on up to get this steering wheel to work. but this is the original steering system and I kind of hate to change it. I think it is a 40 spline. It measures .870 inch at the shaft itself and .843 inch at the spline. would that be considered a 21.5 mm shaft?[/QUOTE] It's easy and cheap to just weld on the spline that matches whatever adapter you can get to fit your wheel. There should be no need to change the entire column.
L0084MC

Post by L0084MC »

Thanks for all the help guy's. Cariomanx, I just recieved an email back from Kartek.com. Momo does make an adapter for that. He stated he would have to order it and it would take about a week at the cost of $ 75.00. I had talked to my welder and was about ready to go with your suggestion newmanx59. This works out a little better I think. Will let you know.
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

The Momo adapter looks like it might be a little big/long and would put the wheel farther back toward you. The Kartek 3 hole billet adapter and a small Grant adapter might actually be shorter.
L0084MC

Post by L0084MC »

Ahh-Haaa. Thanks again cairomanx. Thats something I never gave a thought too. I will check on that before I buy.
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

Depending on the offset (depth) of the steering wheel, a short adatper may cause interference issues with the turn signal switch. Don't ask me how I know this.
L0084MC

Post by L0084MC »

I checked after your post newmanx59. with the stock shaft, steering column and the steering wheel. It has plenty of clearance. I'm glad you mentioned it because that had never crossed my mind. one less thing to worry about now.

broach it

Post by 1856 »

You can also use the existing shaft as a broach .... Drill out an aluminum adaptor so that it?s just a few thousands under the size of the splines and using a press push the adaptor on to the shaft. The splines will be cut easily. This is the same way it?s done at the manufactures. It?s not hard to do but if you don?t feel comfortable doing it your self take it to most any machine shop and they will do it for you. And should be a bunch less then $75 http://www.broachingmachine.com/ Mark :2cents: