France's new Manx Kickout SS build thread.

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
Ed-Chenal

Post by Ed-Chenal »

Congratulations.

When will the snow melt?
Ed
Manx-Australia

Post by Manx-Australia »

sweet looks awesome to see it in the snow :)
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Got up early to get some work done on France's SS.

Here's a quick picture update of our progress:

Started by finalizing the trunk locking system

Then got started on the canvas.

Still quite a bit of work to do but so far, looks like our SRED project may actually work!
Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Long Haul League, '69 Kick-Out-S.S., '59 Berrien Nostalgia, '73 Manxter (in progress)
Trips
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Not much visual progress but we've actually done quite a bit of work on the top. We figure another week-end and we'll have it functional.

Here are the pictures:

Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Long Haul League, '69 Kick-Out-S.S., '59 Berrien Nostalgia, '73 Manxter (in progress)
Trips
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

I like the rear deck latches and the top is looking great.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Getting there slowly...

Got France's (driver) side finished.

Another week-end and we'll be ready to road test this top.
Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Trips
towd-dude

Post by towd-dude »

How about a rear window ???  You and Francis built one gorgeous buggy. Deserves a center fold shot in the Mania.

Bob
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Thanks Bob, another member emailed me on where to get that red tinted plastic glass we used for the rear window...  Real rear windows is coming.  Another week-end and we should have something to see through at the rear.

We did picture whored this buggy in the forums, I'm all for posting it in the Mania!

I confess, I kind of like it with the red top.  Gives it another look altogether.  Let's just hope aerodynamic forces cooperate with our solution.
Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Trips
towd-dude

Post by towd-dude »

I'm sure the force will be with you. All the choices you two made on that buggy are just show quality as well as functional. You might consider showing it around for awhile and pick up some nice trophies, it is most definitely magazine quality.
Pick out about 6 or so pictures  you like and send them to Anita. The next issue (summer) will be an update on the Burro issue she did about 5 years ago. But the next one.......

Bob
DIESELDOOG

Post by DIESELDOOG »

Here is the video of the first road trip for France's new KickOut 
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD0yYhOu0Cs[/youtube]
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Done! Almost...

First real drive. 46.6miles (75km) Shakedown run in 43°F (6°C) weather.

Spent the morning working on finishing the top.

Then we went for a test drive:

Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Trips
bobmanx

Post by bobmanx »

Vincent and France,

Everything looks GREAT!!! I do have a few questions, What wiring kit did you use (Mfg) and where did it come from? and how many circuits are in the one you used? Is it the same unit that you used in your Red Buggy? Is there anything that you had to change to make it fit / work, and would you use it again?

Thanks for any and all info,

Bob
Last edited by bobmanx on Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

bobmanx wrote:... What wiring kit did you use (Mfg) and where did it come from? and how many circuits are in the one you used? Is it the same unit that you used in your Red Buggy? Is there anything that you had to change to make it fit / work, and would you use it again?...
Thanks Bob, We used the same fuse box as the one I used on the red Berrien.  It's a Centech PDP-1B Fuse Panel and I ordered it from autorewire.ecrater.com.
http://autorewire.ecrater.com/p/14021526/centech-wiring-pdp-1b-fuse?keywords=centech

It's not cheap but it looks really good and is well made.  It comes with dual flasher circuits (hazards and flashers) and a horn relay.

It has about 13 circuits divided in 3 'zones' (BAT, ACC, IGN) and a grounding block.  As for the wires, I built my own.  I don't think I would change anything, I always use a 30amp braker box in the primary input and I used a master kill switch on the battery ground

Hope this helps.
Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Trips
bobmanx

Post by bobmanx »

Vincent,

Yes that helps, and thanks for the info and website. Just a few more questions... The 30 amp breaker is fired by a switch other than the IGN switch or? Where did you mount it on your Berrien Buggy and on either Buggy did you consider using any type of cover or box to help protect it from dirt or water? Have you had any problems with the one that you mounted in your Red Buggy from vibration or dirt & water?

Thanks again,

Bob
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

bobmanx wrote:Vincent,

Yes that helps, and thanks for the info and website. Just a few more questions... The 30 amp breaker is fired by a switch other than the IGN switch or? Where did you mount it on your Berrien Buggy and on either Buggy did you consider using any type of cover or box to help protect it from dirt or water? Have you had any problems with the one that you mounted in your Red Buggy from vibration or dirt & water?

Thanks again,

Bob
Hi Bob, the 30amp breaker is 1st on the circuit.  Bat+ -> Breaker -> Fuse & Ign switch.  This way I isolate any potential short at the source.  The only way I can get a hot wire is if the single wire powering the breaker from the battery is shorted.  From there, everything is fused using the fuse box.

For the Berrien, I build a shelf with a drop down hatch to lower the fuse box under the dash.

More info here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=399716&postdays=0&postorder=asc

Our buggies don't see much dirt.  We do get our fair share of water from driving in the rain and never had any problems from water getting to it.  It's only electrical (not electronical), water does not affect it much.  We now have 65,000 miles on the Berrien, never had issues with vibrations.

Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Trips