France's new Manx Kickout SS build thread.

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Made substential progress today...

Machined a bracket to hold the mirrors:

We then proceeded to fire up the motor:

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=LyGPbZ1bnEI[/youtube]

Timing was off a little and I think I scared the miss...

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=MkyXu3z6v90[/youtube]

This week-end happens to be the 1 year mark of this project.

Nov 27th 2011:

Nov 25th 2012:

We can still drive legaly without winter tires until Dec 15th... We may have some rolling shots next week-end... Stay tuned.
Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Long Haul League, '69 Kick-Out-S.S., '59 Berrien Nostalgia, '73 Manxter (in progress)
Trips
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Created the second mirror bracket last night:

Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Long Haul League, '69 Kick-Out-S.S., '59 Berrien Nostalgia, '73 Manxter (in progress)
Trips
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Another great week-end in the shop.

Got the front turn signal mounted and wired. Took some brain power to convert the 2 wire LEDs to parking+flashers. The 3 to 2 wire kit I initialy got on fleece bay did not do the trick. The flasher relay is activating a pair of relays to cut power to the parking up front. I only need to find a better way to get the flasher relay to cycle properly. For now, we've added a pair of regular lights under the dash.

We also got the roll bar mounted. We followed Bruce's instructions from last fall: Just mount it! Follow the line and that's where it goes! lol. Turns out his words were actually helpful and we think the installation turned out great. France is still not sold on the finish, the discoloration where the hoops are welded to the main roll bar bugs her. We'll park that for now and re-visit a solution later.

We got the seat belts mounted. All that is left to do is secure the top part of the belt holder to the roll bar. We're going to drill and tap the bar to hold them in place.

Most of the wiring is now complete and the gauges have been calibrated. We found out that we (France) may have been overzealous with POR15. The horn is not grounding unless you turn the wheel. Looks like I'll have to run a small wire fron the axle to the steering column.

I tried to fire up the engine again to check the tack programing, I'm going to have to take the right side carb off and inspect it. Both 1&2 are not firing. Wires are all connected correctly but I don't think I'm getting fuel to 1&2. If I manually actuate the acceleration pump on the 1&2, I get some heat build up on the exhaust but no where near as much as the right side. Strange.

For next week-end: Wipers, side pods.

Here are some pictures from this week-end's progress.

Spacer on the side of the roll bar.

Front turn and parking lights.

Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Trips
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

It snowed all day today, we took advantage of the new shop to get more stuff done.

We also had a little setback:

Worked on the wipers, side pods and cleaned out driver side carb. It now fires on all 4!

Lastly, France (and I) were always a little disapointed with the stainless hoop of the roll bar and how they had discolored from the weld:

I tried to used a little aluminum cleaner paste and pretty impressed with the result:

More pictures tomorrow.
Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Trips
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

As promised, here are this week-end's pictures:

Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Trips
DIESELDOOG

Post by DIESELDOOG »

Very, Very nice job on the buggy.
FulsGld

Post by FulsGld »

Nice Buggy! Great work.
Gary Berry
Prosser, WA
1971 Turista
1969 ManxVair
Member #1112
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Got to take care of the front end last week-end. France was on deck to help out. She got the POR-15 out again and covered everything!

Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Trips
Ed-Chenal

Post by Ed-Chenal »

Nice work.
Ed
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Carpet is installed thanks to Tom from Tj Kustoms!

Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Trips
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

I like the carpet install. Nice looking. It is easy to clean?

Where is Mickey?
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Got the throw-out bearing taken care of, replaced the fork and the bearing with the proper flange.

France was on deck to re-install the engine.

We also got the vents in the side pods meshed in. We opted to go with ricer mesh over Bruce's chicken wire. I think the smaller holes will give a better look.

We also got the GPS bracket installed, I don't think my back is going to like that tomorrow.
Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Trips
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Devil's in the details...

Got the license plate lights installed as well as the backup lights.

We also got the clamp for the front hood installed.

Finally we started working on the special parts...

Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Trips
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

I think we'll qualify for SR&ED (Scientific Research and Experimental Development) Credits soon!

Last week-end we got busy with life stuff... This week-end we're back at it.

From a few weeks ago, we installed the Mrs' plates...

Now at the risk of offending the "man" for working on a top solution, here goes our progress and SR&ED part:

Before heading back to Montreal, we tore it all down and got everything cleaned up and painted. Sorry no pic, it was still drying when we left.

We also reached out to our friend Tom from TJ-Kustoms to get a set of new seat covers. We'll leave that last but the covers look fantactic.

Another milestone, we're now 100% insured. We went through a private evaluator that came on location to appraise the value and took a bunch of pictures and send our insurance agent his evaluation, now the buggy is fully insured for 25,000 miles per year and we will legaly be able to drive it come March 15th. In Quebec, we have a law that you need winter tires from Dec 15th to March 15th.
Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Trips
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Getting closer to being ready...

Today we worked on the trunk and we should be ready to start working on the canvas top next week-end.

We were also very fortunate to receive a special label from a fellow Manx Club member and we got to drive it to town to fill it up. More on that after the progress pictures.

Here are the special labels we received. Allowed us to drive it a week early.

BIG SMILE!!!

It was about 5°C and overcast. Now here is the 1st drive report:
  • Clutch cable needs adjusting, even when the wing nut is screwed all the way, clutch is not completly dis-engaged.
  • Speedometer: We had coded it in the shop to make sure the impulse unit was working but got tired of hand turning the wheel after a few rotations. We need to calibrate it.
  • Steering wheel is 90° off. Easy fic.
  • Oil pressure gauge dropped un-expected. Pulled to the side of the road, checked everything... Started again and oil pressure came right back. Happened 3 more times. Suspect loose wire or air in system...
  • Rope bar for top, that will need a velcro starp to keep it from rattling.
  • Front suspension, it may be a tad too low. I had left the adjusters at the lowest setting but we may need to rise it a little.
  • Heated seats: France loves them! She even suggested we may be able to drive without the top on cold mornings!

Pulled in to the gas station in town and went inside to pay, the young woman behind the counter wanted to know what that was. I told her it was a Meyers Manx from California. Her reply: That must be very expensive!

On the drive back, we drove right by a local police cruiser! Am I glad we had those special stickers!
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDxfR0O4Etw[/youtube]
Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Trips