France's new Manx Kickout SS build thread.

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
bobmanx

Post by bobmanx »

Vincent,

That is a real neat job!!! Does all of that clear the VW wiper assy, or did you fab up a special one for your Buggy's? Did you use their wiring diagram or make up your own? Did you keep a copy of what you did to be able to trouble shoot the wiring just in case?

Thanks for all the info and the website,

Bob
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

bobmanx wrote:Vincent,

That is a real neat job!!! Does all of that clear the VW wiper assy, or did you fab up a special one for your Buggy's? Did you use their wiring diagram or make up your own? Did you keep a copy of what you did to be able to trouble shoot the wiring just in case?

Thanks for all the info and the website,

Bob
Hi Bob, sorry for the late reply, yes it clears the wiper motor and assembly.  Having kept a wiring diagram would have probably been a good idea, but it did not happen. 

Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Long Haul League, '69 Kick-Out-S.S., '59 Berrien Nostalgia, '73 Manxter (in progress)
Trips
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

Another successful drive, 53 miles in 36°F topless.

We had to pickup some supplies and decided we would brave the cold and take the SS out on a sunny afternoon. We did an alignment before we left but the steering wheel is not quite straight. A little tweaking required.

We also had a chance to weigh it at a provincial truck scale. This was fully loaded (tools and parts), with both of us in the car, tank full and reserve full.

Car ran fine, it's probably time to adjust the carburetors, by the look of the exit of the sidewinder, it's def running rich.

We also noticed that the valve covers were leaking a little when we returned, we tightened the bolt and we'll recheck.

Here are a few pictures:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfka8GCyTUA[/youtube] 

Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Long Haul League, '69 Kick-Out-S.S., '59 Berrien Nostalgia, '73 Manxter (in progress)
Trips
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

You guys are having to much fun with the SS. I think you have more miles on your SS than Wayne has his.
I did a conversion of the weight, 1940lbs. Not bad with it being loaded and both of you in the buggy.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
fastpat

Post by fastpat »

Odd, none of the photos are visible today, have they been moved?
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

fastpat wrote:Odd, none of the photos are visible today, have they been moved?
I have an issue with my server/connection.  It should be up shortly.  Sorry for the inconvenient. 

Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Trips
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

vincent9993 wrote:
fastpat wrote:Odd, none of the photos are visible today, have they been moved?
I have an issue with my server/connection.  It should be up shortly.  Sorry for the inconvenient. 

After a few kicks on the side of the server box, the connection/server is back online.  Thanks for your understanding.

Vincent Parisien
MC Director - MC 2696
Trips
DIESELDOOG

Post by DIESELDOOG »

Size 10 ???
fastpat

Post by fastpat »

Thank you, Vincent, I can see them now. No inconvenience, just like the car and the work you both put into it.
vincent9993

Re: France's new Manx Kickout SS build thread.

Post by vincent9993 »

After almost 45,000 miles I finally got around to creating a tool to help with alignment...

It was pretty close but I could see some wear on the inside of the front tires. I had aligned it using a string but feel that this new tool dials it even closer.

It's basically a bar with 2 uprights and adjustable bolts to measure the toe in.

Turns out I was about 1/16" toe out on the front and the rear had (has) a 1/32" toe in. I dialed a 1/32 toe in on the front and we'll be doing a 500 mile trip tomorrow to test it out.
hillmotorsports

Post by hillmotorsports »

So....what did your 500 mile test tell you?
Rosemarie and Paul Hill
Morrisburg, Ontario
Canada
613 330 4862
Member #4502
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

hillmotorsports wrote:So....what did your 500 mile test tell you?
Drives like an arrow and very happy with the alignment. There's still a slight shake on hard braking but I think the upper driver torsion arm bushing needs replacing. I did the passenger one last week and can see a slight play in the driver torsion arm.

I also need to get the front wheels rebalanced. Between 115Km/h and 125Km/h there's a bit of a shake but very slight.