Front transmission mount

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
Dunerunner

Front transmission mount

Post by Dunerunner »

I have a 1960 VW buggy with a later model synchro transmission. The front mount is unique to the 60 pan . Mine is a solid homemade metal mount. I am trying to find a rubber ( quieter) mount to replace the solid mount as my buggy is strictly street. My local VW repair shop suggested that I remove the front (solid) mount completely and instal an Empi front transmission strap which has rubber between the trans and strap. I plan on replacing the rear mounts with stock rubber mounts. My objective is to provide a quieter ride. Has anyone had any experience with this setup?
marklandon

Re: Front transmission mount

Post by marklandon »

If I rember right you can put a bus nose cone on and it will bolt right up to the 1960 pan stock rubber mount
Dunerunner

Post by Dunerunner »

Thanks!
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Yes the front trans mount on a 1960 Bug chassis is a one year only. Replacing it with a 1961 and later mount is the best way I know to repair. There are two parts you need the chassis mount which welds on to the torsion housing and the rubber mount from a 1961 and later Bug.

Wolfsburg West and West Coast Metric both list them, and they can be found at other parts places too.
The steel mount is #111 701 173C
The rubber mount is #311 301 265 or 311 301 265B. The differences between the two is the 265B has a raise section on the front of it that slips into area on steel mount. (suppose to help keep trans in place if rubber mount breaks. I have used both.

It does require welding the steel mount to the torsion housing which can be done with the body on chassis. I done it many times with out problems. What I do is bolt on the mounts to the trans and install it in place to line everything up and then weld mount in place.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970