Getting in and out of Buggy easily

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
Momboy007

Getting in and out of Buggy easily

Post by Momboy007 »

Hello All,
I am now officially old and am having a time with my right knee, so my question to you all is, How can I get in and out of my buggy easier????
I have an old glitter bug with PRP racing seats, that are pretty deep (Seats)
Please help, I do not want to give up my Buggy

Rick
langan

Re: Getting in and out of Buggy easily

Post by langan »

A lot of people move roll cage connecting bars in. So you can just stand up. Some with roofs hinge them from windshields and use back hatch extenders to hold up.
Post a picture of your car. I am sure ideas will come.
ManxManiac

Post by ManxManiac »

Well... do like I'm going to do to our original authenticated Meyers Manx... "I'm going to cut down the sides"!!! I've got it all figured out & will hopefully start on it soon!!!
I have fibromyalgia (pain everywhere all of the time)... neuropathy, no feeling in my legs & feet, nor in my hands & arms... I've had numerous strokes... high blood pressure... diabetes... & the list goes on & on!!! LOL
I can only work on our buggy when I'm feeling about 50% or better, sometimes that is for 30 minutes or maybe several hours!!! My lovely wife has basically the same thing as I do!!!
Anyway... getting into & out of Xena is a very painful experience, however, once we are "in" it's not so bad!!!
So I have talked to a lot of "f/g folks" & others with great ideas & I finally made the decision to keep Xena & modify her for our needs!!!
Once I cut the sides in a very careful way, I will trim about 6" to 8" off of the bottom of the piece I cut out & slide it down into place!!! I will fasten it & then make a mold for the piece that will fit between the front fender & the dropped piece & the dropped piece & the rear fender!!! Since left & right will not interchange, I'll make 4 molds total!!!
It gets very detailed, but it should look somewhat factory & make getting in & out real easy!!!
I have a bunch of other "little" changes I'll be doing at the same time!!!
I'm not much of a camera person, but I'll try to photograph everything I do & post it!!!
Michael Cates
ManxManiac
Ventura, CA
Original Meyers Manx "Xena"
M1609C8S22
Momboy007

Post by Momboy007 »

COOL!!!!
Cannot wait to see, sounds like exactly what I will be needing!!!!!
I cannot really visualize what you are writing, but, please take pictures. This is exactly what I am looking for

Rick
FulsGld

Post by FulsGld »

There are a number of bodies out there that have low sides. We were in the same situation you are in a number of years ago. We had the ManxVair and my wife was having a dickens of a time getting in and out and my back was giving up the ghost. We wanted to stay in the sport but the writing was on the wall. I started looking for a Resorter. I found one in Mexico and brought it home. Fixed it up and it's a gods-send. Hope you find a way of modifying yours or finding a good low-sided body.Image
Gary Berry
Prosser, WA
1971 Turista
1969 ManxVair
Member #1112
Momboy007

Post by Momboy007 »

Where can I find a body like that? It is perfect!!!
Mine is currently a 60's Glitter Bug

Rick
FulsGld

Post by FulsGld »

Hey Rick;

The Resorter/Turistas pop up every once in awhile. Almost always they are recent builds (except the one from Fresno a couple of weeks ago (and everyone was fighting over that one)) and folks were asking big bucks for them. I know when I bought mine, I paid $4800 and wound up using just the body and top. I added $2000 more to it ($200 titled chassis, $300 reverse-rotation Corvair engine, $150 Scion xB seats, $400 MAACO paint job, $200 rims, $700 misc (brakes, wiring, gauges, tires, rollbar, etc) and wound up with my wife's Turista. We have used the dickens out of it. The problem is that since these are hard to find (not impossible) and I am REALLY paranoid about something happening to this one, I have purchased 2 other project Resorters just in case this one gets destroyed somehow. Sucks to be me...

Gary Berry
Prosser, WA
1971 Turista
1969 ManxVair
Member #1112
hillmotorsports

Post by hillmotorsports »

Sheesh Gary...
For someone expressing concerns about "something" happening to your Tourista you don't treat it very nice!
Perhaps I should give it a better home where it would be respected? :lolno:

Truth is many of us are just jealous of your successful persistence in scooping them up.
Rosemarie and Paul Hill
Morrisburg, Ontario
Canada
613 330 4862
Member #4502