T3 Buggy

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
FulsGld

T3 Buggy

Post by FulsGld »

Hey All;

I have this buggy that has had a T3 engine and transaxle stuffed into it. This is not right. The nose cone sticks up and is connected to the shifting rod via a real flaky connector. It has reverse, second, and then some other gear that I'm not too sure of yet. I have talked with a T3 expert (Joel Mitchell) and he says that a T3 transaxle might be able to work, but it will require a different nosecone on the transaxle. Does anyone know what T1 nosecone might work on a T3 Transaxle to get the proper transaxle alignment? Probably a really long shot... I can post pictures...
Gary Berry
Prosser, WA
1971 Turista
1969 ManxVair
Member #1112
lastmanx

Re: T3 Buggy

Post by lastmanx »

you have your answer change the nose cone to fit the chassis year. type 3 motors have been used mostly is street buggys. the problem with them is the motor pulls its cooling air from the rear of the buggy so it can pull the dust cloud into the motor past the crank pulley that has no sand seal from the factory, potentially getting sand inside motor. if you use on the street only it will work fine. you can change it to upright fan cooling as it is basically the same motor aside from dipstick location and fan housing. don't freak out its not that bad. I believe the how to prep dune buggys book covers this subject. keep smiling