Thing drums

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
Mike-Presley

Thing drums

Post by Mike-Presley »

My project car is an IRS pan with 4 lug drums. I want to use 5 lug drums and have read that Thing drums are the way to go on the rear. The articles say they are a bolt on option. My research seems to show they are a larger diameter than the 4 lug drums. Do I need to change brake shoes to fit the larger drums?  How do I compensate for the larger diameter or do I need to?
dcamomanx

Thing drums

Post by dcamomanx »

I have thing rear drums on the manxter. They are bolt on. The drums are not larger in diameter but wider. What they end up giving you is a wider stance meaning it moves the surface to where the rims are bolted to out further. The brake pads are actually the same as the irs bug ones.

It's a great way to to get wide five drums in the rear. Type 3 rear drums are the ones that are larger in diameter.

Hope that helps

Doran
Last edited by dcamomanx on Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed-Chenal

Thing drums

Post by Ed-Chenal »

Doran has answered your question....
A stock Type 1 5-lug drum is about 3/8" thinner at the hub so you have to put an additional 3/8" spacer on the axle inside the brake drum to compensate for the difference.  If you don't add the spacer on the axle, the Type 1 five lug drum will rest against the brake shoes and the drum won't turn when you tighten the axle nut.  In addition, the axle nut tightens in so far, the cotter pin becomes useless.
I have a 69 Baja with Type 1 5-lug drums on the rear and I use the additional spacer.  I'll put Thing drums on the next time I have things taken apart.  It's only money.

On the front axle, "Jeff Hibbard's Book" states.... "All '66 and '67 five bolt front drums fit '68 or later front brakes and spindles if you use '68 or later inner wheel bearings.
Last edited by Ed-Chenal on Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed