Timing seems to be way out!!!!

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
lastmanx

Re: Timing seems to be way out!!!!

Post by lastmanx »

be sure they tell you what was wrong and you remember it for the future, hope it is something simple and inexpensive to fix, most sorry I was unable to help you further and no other members offered help. you have time now to do some reading so take advantage of it. good luck and keep smiling.
Momboy007

Post by Momboy007 »

LastManx,

First of all, thank you for your help in the past, I did tell the service guy I would like all my motor spec's, what Year the motor is, valve adjustment specs, timing, all the good stuff.
He said his guys would do this for me, yea, hopefully not too expensive

Rick
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

ok rick, the engine number is stamped below the generator stand, the valves you said you set should be 006. oem says 004 but 006 allows you to get it hot without damage. the muir book explains this. the reason I recommend the 3 must read books, is because those books helped me be as knowledgeable as I am today. all the good stuff you want them to tell you is common knowledge. please don't take offense; if you brought me a motor and asked those same questions I would assume you to be an idiot and therefore feel I could easily take advantage of you, by charging what ever I wanted. hopefully they wont. my best example is the common story I have heard multiple times: a guy takes his vw to a aircooled mechanic telling the mechanic it won't start and may need a starter. so the mechanic changes the starter wire brushes the vw connection clean and shinny and hands them an expensive bill which they pay because it now starts. the real problem was the wired clean connection you could have fixed for free. I have heard this story from strangers for years. I read the books and they mention this easy fix to check first. I am not saying you will get ripped off i'm saying you could be more informed about the car you love and own, before you start to hate it due to big repair bills; which often happens. someone like me would then buy it cheaply from you. you would be happy to see it go thinking you got the better end of the deal, I would easily fix it myself and sell it running perfectly for big profit. I offer this advice from personal experience, i'm a poor guy and chose to educate myself on how to fix these silly backward cars. I won't lecture you any more, just saying that if you wanted to be as knowledgeable as me reading 3 books is all it would take. please tell what the final repair bill cost and have a nice day.
Momboy007

Post by Momboy007 »

LastManx
I went to the shop today and was told the issue was with the distributor, The Manager said they put it on their tester and said at idle, all was well, however, at RPM under load it was very intermittent, they put in another distributor and said problem gone, I drove it about 5 miles and it is now sweet and plenty of power.
The service guy, retired mechanic said they have been in the same location since the 70"s and has never seen this type of distributor in his career., even though it did have electronic ignition.

Oh Yea, I did adjust my valves stone cold to .006" per John Muir

Rick
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

good that it is fixed. how much $ to fix? just curios.
Momboy007

Post by Momboy007 »

$283, that includes new plugs, plug wires and distributor. I am very happy with the price

Rick
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

again very happy for you that it is fixed. it is fine that you are happy with price. read the muir book to see If you think you could have performed the work yourself (changing distributor, plugs and wires). I would not have guessed the first distributor was bad so it was good it was diagnosed by a pro. have fun driving your buggy today, mine is in storage for another 6 months, and my backup Bradley GT II is sold. i'm now looking for a new winter project but so far asking prices are too high($4800 for complete body off resto project as example).keep smiling