Manual

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
MikeandKristinLemmon

Manual

Post by MikeandKristinLemmon »

I'm trying to find a good manual to use when i work/fix things on my buggy. I think its a 63. any suggestions?thnaks
~lem
5150bossman

Manual

Post by 5150bossman »

I like the Haynes VW Beetle and Karmann Ghia 1954 through 1979 manual. It has lots of pictures to lead you through almost any repair. Once you get a bit more familiar with it, asking questions on the internet can get you a bit more detailed info on your repairs. You can still find it at many auto parts stores.
BuggyBob

Manual

Post by BuggyBob »

There are a number of books and service manual for vw bugs. I would recommend that book named "the complete guide for vw for idiots" its a very well written manual and is very easy to comprehend.
deadeyebart

Manual

Post by deadeyebart »

If you can find a 1991 version of the Haynes VW Beetle & Karmann Gia 1954-1979 Manual you'll find a lot of great detailed information. The later version has been cut way down and is missing some very vital assembly details that you actually need for the kind of work we buggy folks do on our cars. For example, the exact order in which the parts must be assembled in order to keep your swing axle from leaking oil all over your brake drums and shoes. That information is missing from the later manual. I got mine at a used bookstore
louisb

Manual

Post by louisb »

Never been a big Haynes fan. Their directions tend to go like "Unscrew air cleaner bolt in a counter clockwise direction for twenty rotations, remove engine from car".

I prefer the official service manual and the Idiot guide.

http://www.amazon.com/Volkswagen-Beetle ... 0837604168

http://www.amazon.com/Keep-Volkswagen-A ... pd_sim_b_1

--louis
MikeandKristinLemmon

Manual

deadeyebart wrote:If you can find a 1991 version of the Haynes VW Beetle & Karmann Gia 1954-1979 Manual you'll find a lot of great detailed information. The later version has been cut way down and is missing some very vital assembly details that you actually need for the kind of work we buggy folks do on our cars. For example, the exact order in which the parts must be assembled in order to keep your swing axle from leaking oil all over your brake drums and shoes. That information is missing from the later manual. I got mine at a used bookstore
haha, Thats my next fix. but I think I'm going to need the book for that fix. great info,thanks

MikeandKristinLemmon

Manual

louisb wrote:Never been a big Haynes fan. Their directions tend to go like "Unscrew air cleaner bolt in a counter clockwise direction for twenty rotations, remove engine from car".

I prefer the official service manual and the Idiot guide.

http://www.amazon.com/Volkswagen-Beetle ... 0837604168

http://www.amazon.com/Keep-Volkswagen-A ... pd_sim_b_1

--louis
cool thanks for the links, I'll prob get them both.
thanks
Ed-Chenal

Manual

Post by Ed-Chenal »

"Baja Bugs and Buggies" by the late Jeff Hibbard is another good reference book.  You'll find it on Amazon for about $15.
Ed
MyBlueBuggy

Manual

Post by MyBlueBuggy »

MikeandKristinLemmon

Manual

Cool, I just ordered volkswagen Beetle and Karmann Ghia Service Manual, Type 1: 1966 & How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive 19 Ed: A Manual of Step-by-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot. I'll look into the others as well. I love having something to work on.

Thanks