Stressed out and stumped over new wiring

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
SCVGuy

Stressed out and stumped over new wiring

Post by SCVGuy »

I've been trying to figure this out for several months now and am at wits end with it. My Sand Rover T is so close to road ready but this wiring thing is driving me crazy. The old wiring ended up being unsalvageable and I mad an entire new harness using the Empi kit, the colored wire diagram from the forums here, and a lot of help from pics and YouTube.

First off, I am not an electrician so that may be part of the issue. I've tried following the directions as best I can but still having issues.

Where I am now:

Headlights and brights are works fine
I have power coming through the fuse panel
The gen and oil pressure lights come on on the speedo
The starter turns over

The problem:

No turn signals whatsoever. Power is going into the relay
No hibeam or turn signal indicator lights on speedo
Engine doesn't seem to be getting spark so won't actually start

Possible problems: Power and ground issue with speedo? - wiring this is not clear
Short somewhere

I'm just not sure. I'm in Castaic, CA. Is there anyone local that I could buy lunch for that might be able to come by and take a look? It might be obvious to someone else but I seem to be missing the issue completely.

Also, not sure how to post pics here. Would like to show th speedo I'm using and current wiring situation.

Thanks
SCVGuy

Re: Stressed out and stumped over new wiring

Post by SCVGuy »

I think I figured out the photo upload .
Here are pics of where I'm at and the back of the speedo I'm using. Any help with wiring the speedo would be appreciated.443044274429
SCVGuy

Post by SCVGuy »

Oh...and here's a couple of pics of my buggy
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Speedometer has to be grounded for all idiot lights(gen/oil/turn) to work.
On the idiot lights in speedo the wires on the bulbs go to ground through what they are connect to. Such as oil pressure switch and voltage regulator.
The single terminal on idiot lights get power when key is turn to run position. Usually on same circuit as power to coil.
Grounds are very important on a fiberglass body dune buggy since fiberglass does not work as a ground.
Also size of ground wires should be the same size as the power wires. If you have a 14ga wire going to a light a 14ga wire is needed for a ground. Using smaller wire for ground then power wire will create a voltage drop.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
SCVGuy

Post by SCVGuy »

Here's how I have the speedo wired. I have the ground attached to one of the screws on the back. Is that sufficient?

And here is the wiring diagram I followed

jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Yes grounding through the screw on the back of speedo works well.
Looking at your diagram does it show a ground wire to the turn signal flasher?

Do you go on the The Samba.com? There is a section for fiberglass buggies/kit cars in the forums. There are a few people that really know wiring on there that may be able to help you too.

I like to be able to help you out, but it about a 400mile drive one way for me. There are others in the club that are closer to you that may be able to help. It may take a day or two for more replies to your questions.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970