Carburetion

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
mykee50

Carburetion

Post by mykee50 »

I'm looking at a 69' Manx, 1600 single port with dual Solex carbs. He says it runs fine but he has to adjust the carbs if he goes up or down in altitude by 500'. He says it starts to stumble a little bit and is fine with an air/fuel screw adjustment. Is this common or could I change the carbs to fix this? I'm looking at it this weekend.

Thanks, Mike
lastmanx

Re: Carburetion

Post by lastmanx »

dual carbs need to be synchronized. there is a tool/ meter for this. when they are out of sync one side of engine gets less gas than other side, does not run well. with changing climate conditions they may be more sensitive and require adjustment MAY. hopefully you misspoke a stock 1500 is usually single port. you would enlarge pistons modify engine to make 1600. dual carbs were available for single port, but most use the 1600 dual port as the heads are better. the single port dual carbs could be relatively valuable to someone going for early performance look. I know this doesn't answer the question but thought you should know so you can sound less newbie when negotiating. dual carbs are performance items and best belong on a modified or larger engine. so to answer your question yes common to adjust carbs but most don't also you could change back to stock but I would not worry over it. unless your in a hillclimb like pikes peak you may not notice it. with changing season here it also effects it, again were talking performance driving (race acceleration) which the owner is really talking about. go look at car look to make sure things work. dash speedo warn lights , e brake, horn button on steer wheel. if asking in $10k range I want the horn button in wheel working. its one of those things most don't do because it takes effort to do. windshield wipers work? its the easiest thing to do, if not it's indication in my view as lazy build. just look it over find what needs fixing as you will have to fix it. look at the purchase as a no warranty as is sale, because it is. good luck.
andygere

Post by andygere »

1600 single port was produced for various VW models 1966-70. The carbs may not be correctly syncronized, or they may not be jetted correctly. They are simple carbs and should not react to 500 foot elevation changes. Find someone who knows these soles carbs and get them correctly set up, or read up on it and do it yourself. It would be a step backwards performance wise to go back to a single carb. If the rest of the buggy is solid, ask for a reasonable price discount to get the carbs working correctly and go for it.

One thing, look at the throttle shafts with the engine running and look for signs of fuel weeping out of them. The bushings can wear, and that introduces a vacuum leak, which will make them hard to tune. They can be re-bushed, but won't run right until that's done if the bushings are worn out.
mykee50

Post by mykee50 »

Thanks Guy's, sorry to be such a newbie at 64, lol. This is a guy that I went to high school with so I trust him. He bought it years ago for $5K and did a bunch of stuff to it. He keeps it in his garage but he needs more room so he's downsizing. He wants $5K, what he paid for it. I forgot to say it has some sort of race cam in it too. Can you guy's tell if it's a real Manx by the pics? He says it is but it's not tagged. Thanks again

lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

I would say not a manx based only on picture showing chrome plastic edging that goes around the body. a manx has a thicker body that you wound not be able to use that 1/4 edging. but who cares the buggy looks to be in great condition you know seller, engine cam explains dual carbs engine upgrade. buy it. I would.
manxter36

Post by manxter36 »

They look like single port Kadrons. Check out http://www.shop.kaddieshack.com.

Lots of great info about them there

As far as a true Manx, the dashboard looks to be fiberglass but the shape doesn't look like the fiberglass Manx 2 dash. You would need to post more pics

Hope that helps

Doran