Nerf rack install

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
enesset

Nerf rack install

Post by enesset »

Looking for some guidance on nerf rack mounting...I mocked up the Manx store set I've bought and there is a 3/4" lip of the pan to the lift kit....how am I going to cure this....trim with a grinder?

lastmanx

Re: Nerf rack install

Post by lastmanx »

i attached a piece of plywood over manxbody and lift letting it sit on lower lip of floorpan. the plywood was then covered with a flat fiberlass panel. the nerf bar could then be placed above lift kit piece. by adding the plywood it firmed up the body so i could use the nerf as a step and not stress crack the body.436043324337.
enesset

Post by enesset »

Here is another photo of the lip on the bottom of my pan.

Paige at the Manx Club was going to forward this link to Brad so hopefully he can add to this thread for historical use for others down the trail.
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

I think you are showing (although not clear) the jack support bracket used to jack up a stock beetle with stock vw jack. if this is correct you can trim it (cut) off. unless you still plan to use a vw jack. it looks as if not all of the bracket is there. look at a catalog picture of replacement floor pans to see what I mean. some replacement pans (usually inexpensive) do not have the jack support; as it is meant to support the weight of one side of beetle so a good weld is needed = expensive. it can be a pain to remove but is not necessary if not jacking car from this point.
enesset

Post by enesset »

Thanks so much. I was thinking along that line. Perhaps Brad will also opine before I grind it off (just to be sure). Him and his guys fabbed the pan out at Bruce's place.
GotManx

Post by GotManx »

OK, I think I finally figure out what you are asking. The 3/4" sheet metal extending out past the lift kit, running the length of the pan is the lip of the mounting area for the pan to the body. It is part of a hat channel at the edge of the pan with the mounting bolts on the inside and provides strength to the edge of the pan. A bug's body covers it and it is no problem, but on a buggy it is exposed and sticks out. You could cut it off, but your best option may be to hammer and dolly it up flat.
Brad

Post by Brad »

As others have said just bang it up or cut it off.

When we fit fabricated lift kits now we cut it off and but weld the floor to the lift kit so there is no over hang at all.
enesset

Post by enesset »

Thanks guys
enesset

Post by enesset »

I believe David put a 1& 1/4" box steel in that recessed channel when he fabbed my cage and that is how we mounted the nerf racks.