Carburetion

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
Momboy007

Re: Carburetion

Post by Momboy007 »

OK All,
On to my next question. I am in the process of ordering a 30/31 Pict carb for my buggy and I was told by VW Paradise that it would never work correctly with a exhaust pre-heat tube, is this true? I do not have the pre-heat risers on my headers.
I was also told that is more than likely the cause of why my 34 Pict 3 is a issue currently.
Can anyone shed any light on this matter? any other additional advice?

Thanks,

Rick
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

NOT TRUE. I have used one in my current buggy with no issues 16 years. the heat riser keeps the carb from freezing in winter. my carb would not work in January here in Massachusetts so I store it as its to cold for me also. sorry the advice keeps coming from me. get the how to prep dune buggies and Baja bugs for another opinion that's how I learned. the book on how to hot rod vws also will be helpful. the carb sweats so if sweat freezes it can lock up . ever here of cold induction manifold? its all the rage well without heat riser you have a cold induction manifold. read the books first then buy any carb you want. opinions are like asses everybody has one. its time you form your own opinion by educating yourself. you must be tired of that unsure feeling by now. keep smiling buggy on.
manxvair

Post by manxvair »

A lot of engineers that spent quite a while in school, were paid good money to design and develop a system to operate for wide variety of people to operate with reliability. Those heat risers wouldn't have been included if they weren't really necessary. I took the center mount carb with out heat risers, off of my Corvair because it iced up and gave me a flat spot on acceleration.
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
Manxter Dual Sport #30 Baja Edition #2 (Ours)
Resorter #19-Fuscia(under construction)
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

momboy007 i'm not saying you NEED a new carb, im saying the 34pict generally wears out faster than others due to its design, so there is a better choice when its done. I have to assume you have misdiagnosed your carb problem like your shifter that ended up being a clutch adjustment. so lets start over. eliminate the chock feature with a wire tie like the john muir suggests. be sure it is tuned correctly. get a spray can of carb cleaner clean outside linkage of carb then use the rest of the can inside the carb with engine running accelerating throttle at carb by hand. run it fast , slow ,and all points in between. use the whole can up. clean that carb so it looks new inside and out. you will also be cleaning the valves and intake: its like a tune up in a can. you should notice a difference after. your buggy sat a while so also use a gas tank cleaner for a few tanks of gas that may also help things. also do a complete tune up on the engine, timing included. after all this you could buy a carb tune up kit for about $15 bucks that if your carb is not worn out will renew it. occasional backfire may not be a carb issue. I've found (my opinion) that my backfire issues led to exhaust gasket leaks. my kit car has a old rusted Monza style exhaust the donut gaskets have poor fit and backfire with rapid deceleration. changing parts does not make you a mechanic: it makes you a parts changer. you may also want to consider used carbs from a swap meet they are generally inexpensive, with carb rebuild kit you get a decent carb. you could the change it out until you find the carb you like,just saying. good luck.
Momboy007

Post by Momboy007 »

Hello LastmANX,
I NOW WANT A NEW CARB!!!! After you have enlightened me the 30/31 Pic, looks so much easier to service and I heard run better, please recall I am not looking for performance, just a smooth power delivery

Rick
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

get your buggy insured and road legal first. that way if you can't; driving it won't matter and you will have a "trailer queen" and your good to go, and you will save money and time not having to change the carb. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: : :lol: :lol:
Momboy007

Post by Momboy007 »

Currently insured and legal as of Last Friday

Rick
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

good job