I can feel everything through the steering wheel

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
Momboy007

I can feel everything through the steering wheel

Post by Momboy007 »

Hello All,
I finally got to drive my buggy today and it seems I can really feel everything through the steering wheel, is this normal on a Manx?
Sorry, I have never driven one before and I have never experienced anything like this feel. It feel like the steering column is ridged

I hope you all understand my question and is this correct?

Thanks again in advance

Rick
ManxManiac

Re: I can feel everything through the steering wheel

Post by ManxManiac »

How much air is in your front & rear tires??? Also, what size wheels & tires are on it??? The "rag joint" that connects the steering column to the steering box, is it red, black or ???
Michael Cates
ManxManiac
Ventura, CA
Original Meyers Manx "Xena"
M1609C8S22
Mike-Presley

Post by Mike-Presley »

What is your tire pressure? What are you using for a isolator between the column and the steering box?
The original style isolator (rag joint) is made from what looks like a tire type material. The urethane type, red, yellow, or black are stiff and have a reputation for falling apart at the worst possible time.
Momboy007

Post by Momboy007 »

I wil have to look

Thanks all,

Rick
Momboy007

Post by Momboy007 »

Hello All,
Well I finally made it to big Bear and took a look, it is a very thin (maybe 1/4 Inch) piece of what appears to be rubber, should I be using something else?

Thanks,

Rick
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

sorry you probably have answers from being at big bear, but anyway; yes it is normal to feel everything through the wheel. Your "steering coupling" is correct. A new one stock VW is a good idea since you don't know the buggys history. its a good idea to carry a spare. they last a long time and give little advance notice when they go. Never use a urethane coupling: they are not more durable than stock,when they fail it is quicker than stock. congratulations making it to big bear.