Flipping the Ring Gear

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
FulsGld

Flipping the Ring Gear

Post by FulsGld »

Hey All;

I'm picking up my brothers dune buggy this afternoon. It has a standard-rotation Dark Side Engine in it attached to a swing-arm transmission. It is starting to pop out of second gear so I'm looking to replace it. I have another swing-axle transmission but the ring gear is not "flipped" in it. So, can anyone tell me how to do this?

phpBB [video]
Gary Berry
Prosser, WA
1971 Turista
1969 ManxVair
Member #1112
ManxManiac

Re: Flipping the Ring Gear

Post by ManxManiac »

Hey Gary... it's fairly simple!
First drain the transaxle's gear oil! I usually leave the axles (less tubes) connected to the differential (ring gear carrier)!
Pull both side-covers of the transaxle & remove the ring gear carrier with the axles still in it!
Check bearings on both sides of the ring gear carrier, to see if there is a difference in the number of shims &/or spacer! If no difference, just "flip the ring gear carrier" with the ring gear still attached, to the the opposite side of the pinion gear (I think the ring gear is on the passenger side for a VW engine & the driver side for a Corvair)!
Of the dozen or so that I've "flipped", I only had to swap the shims/spacer side to side one time!
Reinstall the side covers on the side that you took them off of (the driver side cover has the bourdon tube holder)!
Also... with the side covers off, it would be a good time to remove the input shaft (remove the C-clip, slide coupler gear (reverse) toward the bellhousing, then you can unscrew the input shaft... reverse order to reinstall) & replace its seal!
Once it is buttoned up & installed, refill it with gear oil!
Michael Cates
ManxManiac
Ventura, CA
Original Meyers Manx "Xena"
M1609C8S22
FulsGld

Re: Flipping the Ring Gear

Post by FulsGld »

Hey Maniac;

Thanks for the info. I'll use it as a guide as I pull this thing apart...
Gary Berry
Prosser, WA
1971 Turista
1969 ManxVair
Member #1112