Hidden Gauges - Now you see them. Now you don't.

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
rzeller

Hidden Gauges - Now you see them. Now you don't.

Post by rzeller »

A little over a year ago I purchased a new long block to put in our buggy. I was looking for a mild 1776 that would give me enough oomph plus reliability. Shortly after breaking the motor in and a few thousands-mile round-trip trip I noticed the motor was leaking oil from places I wouldn't expect for a new motor. I put mechanical oil pressure gauge on it only to find that my oil pressure was way too high http://manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 9&start=15 After solving the problem I decided it was time to keep an eye on "things".

I am a minimalist when it comes to my dash layout in my buggy. Up until now I believed I could get by with just the German-offered instrumentation (i.e. idiot lights for oil and charge). After doing a little research I concluded if I had to have a couple of gauges, they would be an oil pressure and head temp gauge. Next question, how do I maintain my minimalist dash? I decided I would add "hidden" gauges that are only visible while driving but could be hidden away when I wanted. Here is what I came up with.

I started with an assortment of parts. Gauges from Speed Hut and miscellaneous stuff from my favorite Ace hardware. What you see is half of a hinge (removed the pivot pin and cut the remain half down), small brass right angle brackets and nuts/bolts to hold them to the bezel, 3.5 inch bolt, and a knob. What isn't pictured is a brass tube that acts as a sleeve over the bolt to put tension on the pivot point (seen in other pictures).

Here is the assembled unit (front and back). You'll note the brass sleeve has been painted black to camouflage it.

View from under the dash. The hinge half is bolted to the cross member using a U bolt.

View from under the dash with the unit tilted into it's hidden position.

View from the driver's seat. Now you see it:

Now you don't:
Bud Zeller
Wilmington, NC
Manx Club Member Since 2004 - #2475
Member of the Manx Club's Long Haul League - 2015
2018 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
2022 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #3347 - Bad News Racing & ACME Companies
2023 NORRA Mexican 1000 - #1356 - Bad News Racing
'68 Meyers Manx - M1996F826S
'66 VW Kombi Bus
'73 VW Thing
hillmotorsports

Re: Hidden Gauges - Now you see them. Now you don't.

Post by hillmotorsports »

I like your thinking Bud.
Another great idea to add to our Tow'd project...if we ever get to that stage!
Doncha just hate how life gets in the way???
Rosemarie and Paul Hill
Morrisburg, Ontario
Canada
613 330 4862
Member #4502