Paint vs Powdercoat

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
L8ndeb

Paint vs Powdercoat

Post by L8ndeb »

Hello All,

Well, the title just about says it all. I have the ability to do powdercoating on smaller items, but am concerned which ones would be better off painting. As an example, the torsion plates on a swing axle. Due to them taking so much torque, and constantly moving, would painting be better than powdercoating?
So, if anybody has any advice on this subject, I would appreciate knowing. Was looking at doing the plates, torsion bar covers, tie rods, just to name a few.

TIA
Leyton in Reno
jsturtlebuggy

Re: Paint vs Powdercoat

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

I see no problem with powered coating the spring plates (what you are calling torsion plates) as the coil over springs on aftermarket shocks (such as FOX Shocks) are powered coated and it does not peel off.
Powered coating does require metal to be prepped for it to stick to it. Sand blasting works well and leaves a finish for it to stick to. I have seen powered coat peel off of chassis that the metal was to smooth.
You can still get rock chips in it which can be hard to match with paint when need to touch up.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970