Gas fumes.

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
eurekagary

Gas fumes.

Post by eurekagary »

New problem, Remember that this is the worlds longest Manx build. Got in the Manx and have a strong smell of gas. No visible leaks, so I found the gas tank vent tube and I hope that is where the fumes are coming. It seems that there is a trap door in the tube, I guess for a rollover.but fumes must still come out. So do I have to hook up the charcoal canister? Or have you guys found another alternative? I can't change out to a vented gas cap. I am hoping the smell is coming from the vent and not the fuel gauge sender gasket, that looks like a pain to change with the hood on.
Please let me hear your options
Thanks again
Gary and Annie Dam
Mike-Presley

Re: Gas fumes.

Post by Mike-Presley »

I was getting a gas smell when the tank was full. Turned out the screws were leaking at the gas sending unit. I put an o-ring on each screw and it solved the problem. Also my vent line runs down to the front beam with a cheap plastic fuel filer on the end.
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

I had similar gas fumes in the Berrien a few years ago. Turned out to be the braided rubber hose that I had run in the tunnel that had deteriorated and fuel was seeping through. What kind of fuel line are you running from front to back?

Ethanol will eat through a lot of regular rubber components. We now run a FI fuel line and we have not had any more issues with leakage/seepage.
eurekagary

Post by eurekagary »

I am running a steel fuel line, with a short rubber fuel hose from the tank to the line and again a rubber hose from the rear exit to the carbs. I plugged up the vent after my first post and the smell seemed to deminish. I am going to let it sit overnight and check for smell in the morning. Let the fumes disapate and also let my nose refresh.
I have been reading about fuel tank vent tube vapor valves. It is suppose to be a remote mounted unit. I guess I wondering if anyone is using these and how? Or what about using the stock vw charcol canister?
I will start another post soon on how to mount the Manx front bumper on the berrien frame. That looks like fun too.
Thanks
Gary and Annie
lastmanx

Post by lastmanx »

on a 67 style tank the vent tube on side of filler neck you can run a rubber tube ,be sure to run it to under the car. a rollover valve is not necessary. the gas cap gasket can wear out and cause fumes. overfilling or putting in too much gas can cause sloshing around and will leak out gas cap with bad gasket. as a rule of thumb I gas up no more than 5 gallons at a time. in the sun on a hot day gas in tank will expand and can leak at filler neck if bad gasket or down vent tube. the tank sender gasket can leak if not tight or worn and yes is a pain to get to.i use 67 style replacement tank with vent tube sealed I use a locking vented gas cap. the cap was sized from parts store trial and error till got one that worked,sorry don't have part number. when overfilled in sun or unlevel ground it has leaked out of cap,hence the 5 gallon rule. if you have a relocated to middle of tank filler neck , spilling even one drop of fuel will smell so be careful, if the filler neck is not welded good you can have leak also. there is a sealer sold at parts stores that can be applied it is thick and gas resistant,just takes time to dry. if the leak is inside tunnel it will show up as wetness or when bad drips. run new line outside tunnel and cover with carpet. wash and rinse will get rid of spill or it will continue to smell.good luck,been there done that.
eurekagary

Post by eurekagary »

Thanks, I think I figured it out. Remember I started this build in 2000, so I have forgot some of the stuff I purchased. The gas tank I have is a pre 67 with a relocated center mount. What I thought was a factory vent is a relocated vent that use to be on the stock location filler. So this vent is coming out of the driver side corner of the tank, but it on the top of the tank not the side like the later tanks. I got this tank from Texas Buggys and I think he is out of the business. When I plugged the vent the smell goes away, so I need to run a hose from this vent to the outside somewhere. Have anyone run a vent hose down the reinforcement tubes?
Thanks
Gary