Single to dual brake master cylinder swap

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
Mike1991

Single to dual brake master cylinder swap

Post by Mike1991 »

When converting to a dual master brake cylinder from a single cylinder on a 65 chassis using drum brakes all around which year dual master cylinder should be used? I have heard when using drum brakes only, later dual cylinders (disk brakes) do not have the built in residual feature early dual cylinders (drums) have. I am keeping the drums so this question is Not about changing to discs only about which year dual cylinder will work with drum brakes. I am not adverse to keeping the single cylinder as it has worked for 50 years.

Thanks
jsturtlebuggy

Re: Single to dual brake master cylinder swap

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Any replacement dual master cylinder for a 1967 and later STD Bug will work for what you have. You may have to bend the brake lines a little to line up with the ports on the new M/C.
For a reservoir there is the Volvo type (Empi sells new ones) will fit right into the replacement Brazilian M/C.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
lastmanx

Re: Single to dual brake master cylinder swap

Post by lastmanx »

if it aint broke don't fix it. I have had both in different buggies and noticed no braking difference. when I build a new buggy it is usually less expensive for the rebuilt dual cly master,if it has none. front disc brakes on a buggy generally lock up the front wheels,needing to add a compensating valve so they don't lock up, the front end is just to light. they look nice on trailer queen trophy buggys though.