Interesting findings on CHT

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
vincent9993

Interesting findings on CHT

Post by vincent9993 »

I run an aerospace grade CHT digital gauge under #3 sparkplug.

http://thesensorconnection.com/egt-prob ... -series-ws

I replaced the sparkplugs a few weeks ago and decided to try running a cooler plug.

I was running Bosch WR7AC which I think are equivalent to NGK BR6HS and now running NGK B5HS which is a cooler plug.

I'm now seeing a 100°F drop on my reading. I'm pretty sure the engine temperatures are very similar, the oil temp and pressure are consistent to what I was getting before. On ECVW I was seeing 410°F+ pretty much consistently and now I get sub 300°F with the odd 315°F on long climbs. I had to reset my mental 'redline' on that.

I knew the B5HS was a cooler plug but did not expect that big a drop on the reading.
Just sharing my observations.
jsturtlebuggy

Re: Interesting findings on CHT

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

NGK numbering system is opposite of Bosch.
A 5 series NGK is comparable to a 8 series Bosch plug which is a hotter plug than what you were using.
Since your Bosch number has a resistor and the NGK does not I don't know it that could make a differences it what the temp you are seeing.
Since Bosch only has resistor plugs now, I have been using NGK plugs for years since the change. I ran NGK in my race cars too.
I have always had good luck with them.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
RedBaronofRedBud

Re: Interesting findings on CHT

Post by RedBaronofRedBud »

I have been running WR8AC Bosch since the upgrades to Kermit and have found my temps higher that's what I expected. I changed to B6HS NGK plugs tonight and after a ride, noticed better oil temps and smoother running. Tomorrow, we will run when it's warmer and see if the trend holds. Thanks for the heads up!
Tim and Barb Byrnes
Team Kermit
Long Haul League
ECVW 14
S2B 15
BTTB 15

Join us in St Louis for Manx in the Middle 2017!!!

Im not a complete idiot...there are pieces missing.