corvair/VW trans

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
manxvair

corvair/VW trans

Post by manxvair »

I know there was a kit to run a Corvair trans with VW torsions but I can't remember the name, can anybody give me some pros and cons on this setup? I'm thinking of converting my corvair A-arm and coil setup, unsure on keeping with the Corvair trans or converting to VW.
Mike Dario
Mohave Valley, AZ
Manx Club #957
Manx Club President

Tow'd (Hers)
Manxvair (His)
Manxter Dual Sport #30 Baja Edition #2 (Ours)
Resorter #19-Fuscia(under construction)
jsturtlebuggy

corvair/VW trans

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

Paul Hadley made a kit that used the Corvair engine and transmission in a VW chassis and used the stock torsion bar spring plate setup.

He also made adapters to use bus torsion bars in the bug torsion housing to carry the extra weight.

The kit was still the swing axle style and not the later 4 ujoint Corvair rear supension.

If you are looking for a better handling buggy switching to a IRS setup, whether it is a VW or Corvair is a vast improvement in handling.

If you plan on using a VW transmission reversing the rotation of the Corvair engine is the better way to go. Not the cheapest, but would allow you to use a Bus IRS transmission if you decided you needed the lower gearing.

Also going to a VW IRS setup allows an easier setup for going to longer travel supension since there are so many parts already made for putting it together.

If you have the funds sometimes it easier just to build another buggy the way you like and keep the original one the way it is.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
ManxManiac

corvair/VW trans

Post by ManxManiac »

Hey Mike, the kit made by Paul Hadley was called the "Trans-Vair" kit. You can find good used ones ever now & then.
I agree with Joseph, reverse-rotation your Corvair & then bolt it onto a VW Bug or Bus transaxle. Because of the much higher torque available from the 6 cylinder Corvair engine, you don't really need the 5.38 R&P of a Bus 002 transaxle, but you could definately use the extra strength of the Bus 091.
Michael Cates
ManxManiac
Ventura, CA
Original Meyers Manx "Xena"
M1609C8S22
Carltons

corvair/VW trans

Post by Carltons »

Check out Clarkes  corvair part in Mass. I believe that is where they are. www.corvair.com