Possible Sidewinder Slip joint leak solution?

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
vincent9993

Re: Possible Sidewinder Slip joint leak solution?

Post by vincent9993 »

jsturtlebuggy wrote:Must be a heck of import fee. The 1-1/2 and 1-3/4in sell for on there website for $67.01
Thanks Joseph, I went back and looked at the link Tom provided again and you are correct the individual beaders sell for a "reasonable" 67.97, the link Tom posted refers to the "Kit" and contains all 9 sizes... Hence the $400 price tag on that.

Nice catch.
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

Yes, I remember paying about $70 for the 1 1/2" beading tool. Tom
abgiles

Post by abgiles »

Vincent,
Thanks for loaning me the tool this weekend. I'll be getting to this very soon, but had a couple of questions:

1. Is the video you made on the side you said was more tight than the other?
2. Without having mine available at the moment, and no way to measure, is there any measurements you took, or was it all eyeball and feel?
3. Any specific tips or tricks you'd recommend prior to me giving it a shot? I plan on doing it over this coming weekend or next week.

Thanks!

Brian
(Loretta) Manx # M2940D910E on customized 1970 chassis that has been "Wheelerized" by Joescoolcustoms
(Scarlett) Manx Resorter #12 (R0012B931S) on 1969 chassis.
(Gunther) Manx 2 # A0202A035E
Tow'dster # TF530G913S
Original Home built buggy that I learned to drive in back in 1995 (the one that started my passion).
Club Member # 4436

Loretta: http://www.manxclub.com/forum/viewtopic ... t=3365Manx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
vincent9993

Post by vincent9993 »

abgiles wrote:Vincent,
Thanks for loaning me the tool this weekend. I'll be getting to this very soon, but had a couple of questions:

1. Is the video you made on the side you said was more tight than the other?
2. Without having mine available at the moment, and no way to measure, is there any measurements you took, or was it all eyeball and feel?
3. Any specific tips or tricks you'd recommend prior to me giving it a shot? I plan on doing it over this coming weekend or next week.

Thanks!

Brian
Off memory, I can't remember if the video was of my 1st or 2nd attempt. I basically went a little at a time until the interference was just right. Just go slowly and increase the size gradually. I had to hold the expansion nut with my fingers a little to prevent it from over expanding. You'll see what I mean as you try. I think the video shows that pretty well.

I opted for 2 groves but you may get away with only 1. The grove is only there to prevent the ultra copper from blowing out.

Hope this helps, otherwise, feel free to contact me.