Lithia MK III body

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
73SpeedBuggy

Lithia MK III body

Post by 73SpeedBuggy »

So I went and checked out the Lithia MK III (El Lobo?) that was posted on facebook earlier this week. Body is pretty rough. My biggest question is, the metalflake is completely exposed, the gelcoat around it has faded away, it feels like a pebble finish now. How would I go about prepping such a surface for paint? Body is pretty thin as well, but I saw very few stress cracks. I haven't made an offer yet. Not sure if I went THIS level of work just on the body. The owner did reglass the inside of the hood before deciding he had too many projects.

(you can click on these pics to see a full size version)

Last edited by 73SpeedBuggy on Sat May 09, 2015 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
joescoolcustoms

Re: Lithia MK III body

Post by joescoolcustoms »

The hood sure is a Lithia. And cracked on the side just like the one I had.

Body surface sounds typical. 80 grit sand the top to remove oxidation and give primer something to grip to. Then shoot primer/surfacer. Sand and move onto painting. Sounds simple, and it is, but there is a lot of hard work sanding.

Not to bad for glass repair.
73SpeedBuggy

Post by 73SpeedBuggy »

Thanks Joe, will sanding with 80 grit remove the old metalflake? And you were right, thin body. Much lighter than my old Berrien Citation was.
joescoolcustoms

Post by joescoolcustoms »

The 80 grit will remove the flake that is tipped and exposed. It will leave a perfect surface to start painting with. Do not sand through the surface that is left, just "clean" it with the 80 grit to rid the body of ground in dirt, loose flake and oxidation.
calvin

Post by calvin »

Thanks for the advice. I have been trying to think of the best way to do my Deserter that is in the same condition. I eventually want to flake it, but I want to get it going and driving. Soooo I may get a solid color finish and drive it for a while, disassemble and then flake it later. We will see.
73SpeedBuggy

Post by 73SpeedBuggy »

I think I've decided to pass.. The body is just too thin. I'm worried after putting a ton of work into it, someone will sit on the fender and snap it off!