Communication alternatives

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
Mike1991

Communication alternatives

Post by Mike1991 »

CB radio's used to be the rage in communicating with others. In following the club ECWC and WCEC long distance trips I see a number of different setups in buggies from navigation screens with weather info, to radios, or maybe Smart Phone apps such as Waze. My CB is on its last leg or more realistically past it and was wondering what the groups thoughts are on what in recent technology works best in long distance, short distance, or just lone wolf trips.
joescoolcustoms

Re: Communication alternatives

Post by joescoolcustoms »

David and I were on the ECVW trip, and while I am electronically challenged, (OK, just freaking cheap), all I had in the buggy was a CB radio. But, David brought his Garmin with all the locations programmed in. Very nice safety device even though I like to "wing" it.

David also had a smart phone. Vincent set up a private, website I guess, that you had to be invited onto. It is called 360 Live. It picks up the GPS on your smart phone and locates you within I think 30 feet. It has a Emergency/alarm button and a private chat area that we could talk back on forth relaying lunch, fuel, boredom, engine problems, and general foolishness. It was actually really handy if someone dropped out of formation, or just "had to go". I will state that it is not safe to be doing this by yourself while driving, but we all had passengers who could communicate during the day.

Front, (lead) and tail, (sweep) also had hand radios to connect direct with immediate response.
joescoolcustoms

Re: Communication alternatives

Post by joescoolcustoms »

I will add that I do trip a lot by myself and I make sure my wife knows the general area I will travel in, and approximately when or where I will be. I have the CB, and now have a Garmin, but also carry a cell phone. Some where amongst that group I should be able to get some sort of help.