Timing question

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
Carltons

Timing question

Post by Carltons »

Im having a timing issue with my buggy. It feels like the advance in not fully advancing the power flattens out at higher rpms say 4K in 3rd of 4th gear. I have shot the distributor with WD 40. Still not better. I swapped the distributpor with another and it is better, but not fixed. So the dumb question. Im running a 009 distributor what is the timing @ 2500 RPM. 30 degrees seems way too high. Thought is was like 16 degrees. I believe that it is 7.5 at idle. Any suggestions. I consulted bugformance and they insist its 30 degrees.
FulsGld

Re: Timing question

Post by FulsGld »

We usually run ours up to 32 degrees at about 3000 rpm (but is probably the same at 2500). Takes into account the initial, mechanical, and vacuum advances. I would think that 16 degrees total advance would really bog me down. However, listen for pinging at the higher advance settings...
joescoolcustoms

Post by joescoolcustoms »

With a purely mechanical advance distributor like the 009, it is best to set it at 3000 RPM where all the advance is in and no more than 32 degrees before top dead center, (BTDC), 30 degrees is usually what is recommended. The higher the altitude the more advance it will accept before heating the engine and detonation occurs.

Because there are various manufactures of 009 distributors and quality varies too, do not pay attentinon to idle timing, just full in timing. Vacuum advance distributors are not to be set like this, they are to be set at idle speed.
FulsGld

Post by FulsGld »

Good information. One question. Do you set the idle timing with the vacuum advance connected or disconnected? Thanks.
Old-Towd

Post by Old-Towd »

Disconnecting the vacuum advance hose guarantees your vacuum advance is off so you get a true idle reading, plug your vacuum advance hose from the carb.
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

The 009 is purely mechanical advance, no vacuum on there. What the others say^^^ 30-32 degrees 'all in' at around 3000rpm will be fine.
Bradspurplemanx2

Post by Bradspurplemanx2 »

What Carb? Might need to go with a Vacuum advance.