An original Manx?

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
Mike McCoy

An original Manx?

Post by Mike McCoy »

I guys, I'm a new member. I think I found an original Manx last week in the woods of coastal Oregon. I built a Fibermotive Manx clone in 1971, and now that I live about 2 miles from the Oregon dunes I decided to do it again. Let me describe what I found, and I'll post some pictures when I get them. It is ROUGH! It sat out in Oregon weather for years. The right rear fender is torn off. I have the pieces. The body is broken at the front cross piece, many patches, etc,etc. I have found the vacuum cleaner hose under the body sides. I found one lonely rivet where the ID plate was. The back end looks correct. It has one original recessed taillight like the originals had. The nose has been damaged and bondoed, so the emblem bump is missing. The label area to the right of the left taillight is also bondoed over. The width of the cowl at the windshield is 42 1/4". I've done fiberglass repair for over 40 years, so I'm comfortable with the repairs needed. I also got a rolling '66 pan, less the rusted out side metal, it came with a link pin frontend, and a swing axle transaxle. I paid $100.00. I also bought a "66 bug Baja elsewhere to strip for parts. What else should I look for to help ID this body? Yeh, I know, pictures, pictures!
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

[QUOTE="Mike McCoy;16187"]I guys, I'm a new member. I think I found an original Manx last week in the woods of coastal Oregon. I built a Fibermotive Manx clone in 1971, and now that I live about 2 miles from the Oregon dunes I decided to do it again. Let me describe what I found, and I'll post some pictures when I get them. It is ROUGH! It sat out in Oregon weather for years. The right rear fender is torn off. I have the pieces. The body is broken at the front cross piece, many patches, etc,etc. I have found the vacuum cleaner hose under the body sides. I found one lonely rivet where the ID plate was. The back end looks correct. It has one original recessed taillight like the originals had. The nose has been damaged and bondoed, so the emblem bump is missing. The label area to the right of the left taillight is also bondoed over. The width of the cowl at the windshield is 42 1/4". I've done fiberglass repair for over 40 years, so I'm comfortable with the repairs needed. I also got a rolling '66 pan, less the rusted out side metal, it came with a link pin frontend, and a swing axle transaxle. I paid $100.00. I also bought a "66 bug Baja elsewhere to strip for parts. What else should I look for to help ID this body? Yeh, I know, pictures, pictures![/QUOTE] Hi Mike, like ya say pictures would be nice, but what the hell, with 40 years of fiberglass experience behind you,, even if its not an original Meyers Manx I'm sure your gonna have a lot of fun with it and are more than capable of fixing it up.. Sounds like you got a good deal too. I'm not so sure about the originals having recessed tail lights, but who knows what happened to them back in the day.