Wheel Balancer

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
10ovr

Wheel Balancer

Post by 10ovr »

Went to both tire shops in my town to see if they could balance wide 5s,,  (tire shop)What's A Wide 5 ???  OK,,Plan B,,,Went to a buddies shop and made an adaptor on his C&C machine,,Pressed in a 24" steel rod,,Fits perfectly on my motorcycle balancer,,Balanced out the adaptor,( only took 5gms )  Balanced all 4 wheels ,,Works great,,Image ,Image Image
Last edited by 10ovr on Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom-Kathleen

Wheel Balancer

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

Nice! It looks like you balanced the balancer by drilling one of the lug nuts.  Did you mark where that lug nuts needs to go every time to keep the balancer balanced?  Say that fast 3 times! LOL  Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)
10ovr

Wheel Balancer

Post by 10ovr »

I had 4 lugs that were 51 grams and one that was 52,,So I drilled that one out and made it 51,,,Good eye,,,,The disc with out the lugs in it took 5 grams to balance it,,, You can put any lug in any hole and it stays balanced,,,
deadeyebart

Wheel Balancer

Post by deadeyebart »

That's well done. There's only one shop in my area that can balance wide five's and he's way over in Eagle Rock. Since it's not very convenient, I will often run my tires and wheels unbalanced. I haven't had any problem running them that way. I was told, and I agree, that tires these days are pretty well balanced right from the manufacturer and don't need much balancing anyway. I do have the tires on my wife's VW balanced, but I'm not so picky with my own cars.
10ovr

Wheel Balancer

Post by 10ovr »

There is a guy over on Samba that sell wide 5 adaptors so you can have any shop do them ,, http://www.thesamba.com/v...eds/detail.php?id=373915 My front wheels took about 15 grams each and the rear wheels took about 60 grams,,,
Last edited by 10ovr on Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom-Kathleen

Wheel Balancer

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

OK 10ovr.  I didn't know you had access to a scale.  If you had balanced the balancer on the holding device, things would have to go back the same way everytime.  Some people make something like that and take it to an auto machine shop and have them balance the center by itself.  Tom 
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)
towd-dude

Wheel Balancer

Post by towd-dude »

I ran into the same problem of tire shops not being able to balance wide 5 wheels. So I took a wide 5 to 4 lug adapter bolted it on and it would then fit their machine and it's cheaper than the one being sold on The Samba.
Bob
Last edited by towd-dude on Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed-Chenal

Wheel Balancer

Post by Ed-Chenal »

I don't balance any of the tires I use for off-road.
No ill effects or vibrations.
Ed
MELFOL

Wheel Balancer

Post by MELFOL »

If you don't have a motorcycle balancer I did an article about using an old front spindle and brake drum for the same purpose in a Mania a few years ago. The principle is the same.