Aluminum Wheels

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
CairoManx

Aluminum Wheels

Post by CairoManx »

I was looking at the options for aluminum Manx wheels with the "wide 5", 205 X 5 VW bolt pattern. Ideally they'd be 15 X 4 front and 15 X 8 rear. There's Centerlines(and clones). I like BTRs, which are about $150 each, but they're flat not available now. Douglas does a plain billet center which is available front and rear. I like the Douglas Billet Star. I think they're USA made. The fronts are available either 4" or 5.5" wide, but you can only get the rear in 12" or 15" wide. They made 8" wide rears, but its also not available. I wish the retailers would get a clue about what works on fiberglass buggies. I noticed a very nice set of Jackman Aluminum Stars up for bid on Samba http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=598986
markmark

Post by markmark »

I put Centreline Convo Pro's on mine. They are 15 x 3.5 and 15 x 7's. I'm really happy with them. Image
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

I like the look of those more than the plain Centerline. Serious looking buggy.
Okayramon

Nice!

Post by Okayramon »

They look great!
imacnol

prueba de post

Post by imacnol »

ok ramon webmaster manx club
imacnol

new post

Post by imacnol »

prueba de edici?n de texto para ver si los estilos se ven bien
enesset

Re: Aluminum Wheels Manx/Bronco?

Post by enesset »

I thought this would be the appropriate area to add a question.

Someone please educate me on why I should NOT do what I'm thinking.

As a reminder, I'm building my '69 Manx ground up. It is baja/NORRA focused and I already have a '69 Early Bronco and my buddies and I race NORRA.

I bought a ball joint front end with Thing spindles.

QUESTION: why would I NOT want to go with blank rotos and drill them to the Ford Bronco 5x5.5 spacing so that if I'm down in Baja and something goes bad, in a pinch I could scrounge a replacement rear wheel/rim.

As an example on my existing bronco I run 15" with 5x5.5 bolt pattern and then 31x10.50R15 (which I assume are 8" wide rims).

My thoughts was to run US Indy Mag 101's in an 8" width?

http://us-mags.com/indy-u101-truck-w-5493.htm

Then in a pinch I could run a bronco wheel? Additionally if I wanted to buy a set of paddle tires for Pismo I could use them on either the bronco or the Manx?

Thanks for the "collective advice" from the group -- Eric
enesset

Re: Aluminum Wheels

Post by enesset »

Ok guys, I have continued my research and am trying to get smarter......

Lets talk about front end sizes......if I elect to go standard 5x205 with a 15" wheel in....lets say 4" wide....is it correct to understand that with a standard width BJ front end (Thing spindles) that I should only use a max tire height of 27"?

Is it correct to think that a 31" front would rub?

Thanks for the thoughts/help.
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

For buggies it is very common to use a 7.00x15 tire on a 3-1/2 to 4in wide wheel on the front. It approx. 30in tall.
If you want to run something bigger and heavier you going to need to upgrade the suspension components to what is being use for off road racing. Ball joints and stock spindles don't last long with big heavy tires and wheels.

For clearance you may want a body lift. Dave can build a chassis with it already part of it.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
enesset

Post by enesset »

This is great advice.

Last 5 years down in Baja for NORRA I have been watching what competitors use but of course everyone runs a linkpin and I'm sure they are widened.

The custom pan I had fabbed by Bruce's guys has a 3" lift.

I did talk with Dave the other day about the cage work and I'll pick up that conversation in the suspension 101 thread.

I wanted to run vintage style jackmans but perhaps I would be better served with aluminum and I really appreciate the advice on size so I will focus on 27" rather than 31's.

I was told down in Baja the hot ticket is 31 all the way around, skinny up front and then the 1 spare you carry can be the skinny 31" front and if you toast a rear just run the skinny out back.....but I hadn't considered that with a standard width BJ front end that I couldnt run a 31 even with the Thing spindles and 3" lift but that makes sense.
enesset

Post by enesset »

For off road strength, especially down in Baja, I decided to go with steel wheels with the Baja Star (5x205) and in the rear I went with 31 inch tires on an 8 inch wide rim and in the front I went with a 6 inch rim and a 27 inch tire. The tires are BFGoodrich KO2s

Summit racing ended up having a great price with no shipping and no tax on the wheels… And Costco had a great price on the tires

As others have mentioned they are definitely heavy.

Forgot to mention I'm having custom +1 inch long rear trailing arms made, so there should be no interference with the torsion.