Wire from coil to transmission? Huh?

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
73SpeedBuggy

Wire from coil to transmission? Huh?

Post by 73SpeedBuggy »

Ok, as part of my engine rebuild I've also decided to do a complete rewire of my buggy as many of the wires are getting very old and cracking with exposed innards. I noticed this afternoon during teardown that I have a wire (with an inline fuse) attached to my coil that goes up and attaches to transmission very close to the front of it. What is this?
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Sounds like the battery feed for the backup lights. The backup lite switch is located in the front of the transmission. I have never seen the ignition circuit used for this purpose. Do you have backup lites on your buggy??
mackaymanx

Post by mackaymanx »

Reversing lights, that is the standard set up for later beetles. Power comes from the ignition through the inline ceramic fuse down and back up from the switch on the nosecone. This is how my buggy is wired same as a standard bug.
73SpeedBuggy

Post by 73SpeedBuggy »

Ahh, ok. I don't think I actually have backup lights though. That would explain why there was a second wire coming from the tranny not connected to anything. That must have been the return. Backup lights would be nice.. I'll have to see if there's actually a backuplight bulb in my tailights.