Bikini Top

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
mstokes

Bikini Top

Post by mstokes »

I read somewhere a few years ago about someone who bought a Bikini top for a Jeep from JC Whitney and it fit very well on his dune buggy. Does anyone have any helpful advice about this? If so, what model Jeep and what about the windshield attachment?
LIGreenManx

Post by LIGreenManx »

Tom from TJkustoms.com is making them fitted for a manx. Ron
markmark

Post by markmark »

[QUOTE="LIGreenManx"]Tom from TJkustoms.com is making them fitted for a manx. Ron[/QUOTE] How much are they? Got any pics of them?
LIGreenManx

Post by LIGreenManx »

Give Tom a call i think there almost ready to go live
73SpeedBuggy

Post by 73SpeedBuggy »

I emailed Tom about carpeting and asked him about the bikinni top as well. Unfortunately they dont' currently offer their carpeting for buggies based on a 73 and newer pan. I did get some details on the top though: "The tops are as follows:. Cabrio (Vinyl) $250.00 and Stayfast (Cloth) is $350.00. They are of the Bikini style. The front edge of the windshield to the center of the roll bar should be 39". " I asked about pictures in my emails (twice) but he was very evasive and never mentioned a word about pics. So if anyone here has one of these PLEASE, post a pic!
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

What we did was buy a Jeep Wrangler top and cut it down a bit to fit right (something like 6" off of each side). Then sewed the end strip back on and that was it. Very inexpensive, but works great. Only issue was we had to put a clip in each front corner to keep the cross winds from pulling the top out of the W/S channel. Just need to make sure your W/S channel faces forward. We've had ours in full time use for about 4 years now with no problems. Here is a link to one place, but there are many others to choose from. Jeep Tops
mstokes

Post by mstokes »

By end strip, do you mean at the rear, where the straps are connected? Also what kind of clip did you use for the front corners? Thanks Mike
mstokes

Post by mstokes »

Also, I forgot to ask, Can you sew the sides with a regular housewife type Singer sewing machine or did you need to take it to an upholstery shop for the needle work? Thanks Mike
monocoque

Post by monocoque »

[QUOTE="mstokes"]I read somewhere a few years ago about someone who bought a Bikini top for a Jeep from JC Whitney and it fit very well on his dune buggy. Does anyone have any helpful advice about this? If so, what model Jeep and what about the windshield attachment?[/QUOTE] Mike, I have an original Manx bikini top that you could use for a pattern. You could take it to a boat top place and have them make it. Last time I had it quoted it was about 500.00 (ouch). Chris
Manx-Australia

Wow

Post by Manx-Australia »

this is a Bikini Top we are talking about yeah ? Like under 2m of material and some straps ? Getting a custom one made down here out of top quality material is retail at $330 and trade around $250 on a bad day. Everything is so cheap in the USA I can't beleive these are som much ...
73SpeedBuggy

Post by 73SpeedBuggy »

Anyone know where people are attaching the tie-downs?
Ed-Chenal

Post by Ed-Chenal »

[QUOTE="73SpeedBuggy"] Anyone know where people are attaching the tie-downs? Usually, the tie downs are attached to the horizonal area behind the rear seat area. For off-road users, metal snaps work better than Velcro for holding the sides of the top in place and reducing wind-flap. The dirt and sand make the Velcro less effective.
Ed
TMc2548

Post by TMc2548 »

Not to hijack the thread but this is top related. There was a site that had soft tops for buggies. I can't find it now but I thought it was Texas Manx Club or Texas Buggies. Any one have a lead? Link? thanks!
ManxRob

Post by ManxRob »

Mr Towd

Post by Mr Towd »

This is the first real photo I have of the new tops. It is just set on the buggy, NOT mounted. I have been so busy as of late I have not been able to do a install session. We will be doing an install on the Mid America buggy build next week. I will post more photos after that. The top is called "The Sombraro" (TM). Image