Bikini Top

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
mstokes

Intermediate Bow System?

Post by mstokes »

Tom, I understand that you are working on an intermediate support bow for the Sombrero. How is that coming and how much do you estimate will it change the price?
Mr Towd

Post by Mr Towd »

Mike, We where going to make that bar but after putting the top through some rather heavy road tests. I may be rethinking it. At 55 the top has some lift and flutter but it is not noticeable inside the buggy. Even though we where expecting some it is not anywhere near what was expected. The top really is stable. I am not going to completely wright it off yet but I think I will put it on hold until we get some feedback and see if our customers request it. As always it will be an add-on item only.
LIGreenManx

Post by LIGreenManx »

I see Tom went live on the tops there on eBay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dune-Bug ... .m14.l1317 I seen it on the blue manx in person fits perfect.
TMc2548

The top.

Post by TMc2548 »

I bought one of Tom's tops and just finished the installation yesterday. It fits and looks great. Review forthcoming... No pics yet but I will get some up as soon as I take them.
1tuffvw

Post by 1tuffvw »

[QUOTE="LIGreenManx;12572"]why buy a jeep top and fit it when you can buy it ready to install.[/QUOTE] Because you can buy 5 Jeep Bikini tops and make it work to one Sombrero. Sorry but I am going to chance a Best top for a Jeep for now. 1tuffvw
Mr Towd

Post by Mr Towd »

[quote="1tuffvw;12834"]Because you can buy 5 Jeep Bikini tops and make it work to one Sombrero. Sorry but I am going to chance a Best top for a Jeep. 1tuffvw[/quote] That would work if your capable of sewing. I will let my customers speak for my product.
1tuffvw

Post by 1tuffvw »

[QUOTE="Mr Towd;12836"]That would work if your capable of sewing. I will let my customers speak for my product.[/QUOTE] NO Doubt your products look fantastic with great quality, just in my opinion a little pricy. Not intending to offend you so please dont take offense. If the Jeep thing dont work out, Ill probably be buying one when I can save up the money.
Mr Towd

Post by Mr Towd »

I don't take offense. I have been through this before. In fact every time I come out with a new product. Some guys go way out of there way to try and discredit me or anyone trying to do something good for the community. No, I am not placing you in that category. I do try to keep prices down as much as I can. I do understand when people get frustrated seeing a top for $45.00 and wonder way Mine cost so much. I just cannot compete with product made in bulk with lesser materials from over seas. The way I see it, I can do one of two things. #one, I can move ahead with production and provide the highest quality designs, materials and workmanship posable. # Two, Not make anything at all. I choose # one. The only thing I ask is, Wait until you see our stuff in person before making a judgment.
domorr

Post by domorr »

My Sombrero works great!! No flutter or lift at 70mph. I havn't taken it off since I put it on the buggy. I can't see any reason to add a bow. http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb22 ... 0_0636.jpg
Lee

Post by Lee »

I had my bimini top made a few years ago because no one was offering one that fit a buggy. Mine was custom made by an upholstery shop, and they used very high quality fabric. The cost was a little MORE than what the Sombrero is going for. I've already been back to the shop twice for mods, as the darn thing loves to snap in the wind. The shop had warned me about this, and they have been doing their best to make it right. The only thing I can do now is to make a support bow to take up some of the slack in the center of the top. If that doesn't do it, a Sombrero top is in my future!
5150bossman

Post by 5150bossman »

We got our Jeep top over 4 years ago. At the time, it was $35.00. We did have to modify it, which we did ourselves. Never had an issue with flutter, but did have to put pins (snaps) in the front corners to keep it from pulling out when there was a strong cross breeze. After 4+ years of heavy use, it is finally starting to show it's age. It's nice to see that there is an option now. For those that have the ability and want to save, you can go the same way. You can also go with the Sombrero. More money, but a quality product that is all ready to install and go. I'm sure there is a market for both.
TMc2548

The Sombrero - Review

Post by TMc2548 »

Well, I bought a bikini top from Tom pretty much the moment they became available. I wanted a top that was well made and ready to install. Being the first one to order a Sombrero my top did not come with installation instructions. This was not really an issue because Tom was easy to get a hold of and quite helpful over the phone. Installation was simple. What was hard (for me) was drilling holes into the side of my windshield frame for the side snaps. Once the top was set in the front and I pulled it over the roll bar I noticed my roll bar was too far from the windshield. I had to relocate the hoop and now the top fits very well. I did break one of the supplied anchor rings because I pulled the top too tight. I was able to come up with a fix using a couple rings from a spare backpack. How does it behave? Honestly I have no experience with bikini tops so bear in mind I have nothing to compare it to. There is a slight sag in the middle of the top but once you start driving the top lifts up and out of the way at about 15 mph. It is quite steady up to 40-45 mph. Higher than that there is some snapping at the rear of the top against the roll bar hoop. I drove it today on the highway and got to 65 mph. I was concerned at first how it would hold up but the top didn't move more than it did at 45mph. All in all I am very happy with the Sombrero. Well done Tom. Now for the pics... Image Image Image Image