Got windshield wipers??

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
blonds-run-amuck

Got windshield wipers??

Post by blonds-run-amuck »

This past weekend, I towed my buggy to a State Beach here in San Diego for a weekend of "parking lot camping".  I was told by the camp host and later the "State Police" that I would not be allowed to drive my buggy because it was "illegal" due to no windshield wipers.  My reaction was...are you kidding me??  It's August, in San Diego...So, what do  other use?  I have placement for wipers on the hood and there are bolts in the holes.  Wiper Blades and duct tape?? lol11
Ed-Chenal

Got windshield wipers??

Post by Ed-Chenal »

It sounds like they were looking for an excuse not to let you in.
Ed
5150bossman

Got windshield wipers??

Post by 5150bossman »

Two solutions. The obvious way to go about it is to install the whole electric windshield wiper mechanism. No easy feat since there is very little room under the dash, but the most useful. The other way is to install one or two of those manual hand operated W/S wipers that attach to your W/S frame. I don't believe there is anything in the code that says it can't be manually operated. ;)
jsturtlebuggy

Got windshield wipers??

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

I have wipers on both buggies. Here in N. California you never know when you are going to need them. 2 weeks ago while in Tahoe it started raining and hailing I was sure glad to have a top and wipers that worked.

On the Kick Out I am using a 1968 wiper assembly. In the past on other buggies I have use the later wiper assemblies with sucess.

The Manxter uses a 1973 SuperBug wiper assembly with STD bug wiper arms.

You can order the mount from B & K and get the manual wiper arm assembly to go with it and it should satify the intent of the law.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
manxdavid

Got windshield wipers??

Post by manxdavid »

I run a standard late 60's Beetle wiper rack set-up; plenty of room under the Manx II hood/dash. I got some spindle adapters from a Land Rover and fitted (classic) Mini Cooper polished stainless wiper arms and blades. Washer set-up (see the little black dual jet between the wiper spindles) is 'borrowed' from a little CAT 1.5 ton mini excavator; reservoir/pump is mounted front side of the front bulkhead under the gas tank.

"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
blonds-run-amuck

Got windshield wipers??

Post by blonds-run-amuck »

Thanks for the info. I found a "buggy bones yard" in my city and they have every used vw part you could ever need. I can have the motor and arms installed for about $100. still checking around but sounds reasonable to me.
Ed-Chenal

Got windshield wipers??

Post by Ed-Chenal »

Barbara,
That sounds like a good deal.
Ed
Montana-Manx

Got windshield wipers??

Post by Montana-Manx »

I have wipers but they do not seem to work on the back side of the windshield so wipers on buggy dont seem to work well in the rain because the inside of the windshield gets just as wet if you are moving at highway speed. I guess they will keep the law happy.
billloftin

Got windshield wipers??

Post by billloftin »

I have used Rain X for 15 + years and it works well on the inside. It really doesn't matter because you can't see well with glasses in the rain.
Just my musings
Manxter 22
Mike-Presley

Got windshield wipers??

Post by Mike-Presley »

I have heard of owners who have wiper arms and no motor. Usually once people see the arms and blades they assume everything works.
langan

Re: Got windshield wipers??

Post by langan »

My wipers were made from I think 73 super used the wiper base taper mount and early 64 arms with Empi blades 2sp with return parking. No idea why we need wipers But if it keeps the man happy OK150215011500
Picture on rite is parked position