Desert Camo Buggy

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
mel hubbard

Desert Camo Buggy

Post by mel hubbard »

A guy has asked if I would mold him (in gelcoat) a buggy kit in 3 shade desert camo,,, at first I said no,,, but after further thought I kinda like the challenge and would like to give it a go. Having never done anything like this before, maybe you guys could give me some tips. I would like to avoid masking if poss,, so,, do you think a sprayed edge blending into each colour,, or,, a freehand brush-gel without the blended in look. Thoughts?? Which 3 colours do you think would look good together??? I have the following pigments which could also be tinted lighter or darker,,, Buff (looks just like sand),, Aircraft grey,, Yellows,, Greens etc. The only other problem I can see is getting to match/flow the 3 colours as they meet up with the hood & side-pods,, want it to look like it was painted when assembled rather than done in the molds. Any tips will be greatly appreciated,,, will be starting on it in the next day or two,,,, maybe Im just looking for someone else to blaim if it all goes wrong :help: :D
mackaymanx

Post by mackaymanx »

mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

Thanks Mackaymanx, thats the kinda thing the guy wants, the Iguana looks like the shades are blended into each other with a spray gun,, I prefer that blended in look. Did a small test panel today freehand, with brush gel in tri-camo, will take it out of mold in the morning.
90volts

Post by 90volts »

i like this. but maybe more of the setup than the camo. Image Image Image
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

Sorry but don't like camo cars. I pulled out in front of a camo green painted Reliant three-wheeler once and the guy went ballistic!!! I just didn't see him but isn't that the point of camoflage??? They just bug me!!! Shouldn't be on the road!!! Grrrrr!!! :x Image
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

[QUOTE="Manxdavid"] I pulled out in front of a camo green painted Reliant three-wheeler once and the guy went ballistic!!![/QUOTE] I never knew Del Boy was a military man :D Hey Dave, do you like WW2 Jeeps???? I just love the things,, had one years back,, wish I had kept it. Powered by the 2.2 Go Devil,, half a flathead V8. If ya see one about,,I WANT IT :rock:
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

[QUOTE="90volts"]i like this. but maybe more of the setup than the camo. Image[/QUOTE] That looks very Military,,, just don't drive it near Dave :eek: :D
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

Dunno, maybe I just need an eye test!!! Wasn't the 'Gorillaz' Geep Buggy camo??? (Ask your daughter Mel...)
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
shaihulud

Post by shaihulud »

Mel. See if you can find a picture of Bruce's Gus the Bus. He was very cool in his camo paint job. Every time I drove him someone offered to buy him. You must remember him from Baja in '98. I drove him home to Faraway Place from Lake Hanson. Richard.
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

[QUOTE="shaihulud"]Mel. See if you can find a picture of Bruce's Gus the Bus. He was very cool in his camo paint job. Every time I drove him someone offered to buy him. You must remember him from Baja in '98. I drove him home to Faraway Place from Lake Hanson. Richard.[/QUOTE] How could I ever forget ol Gus :driving: We even made it in a Hot VWs pic,, front cover if I remember,, very small pic. I lost my copy of it,, but would appreciate seeing it again if anyone could post it up.