new case?

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
joemama

new case?

Post by joemama »

Wanting to know previous experiences and feelings on using a line bored, and machined as necessary case, as opposed to a new case. Any thoughts on long term reliability? I run a 1915 built on a used case machined by Rimco, and has been fine for 3 1/2 years, but now will be building a 1776 for my sons 71 bug, we currently dont have a case (Thrown rod on the case that came with the car), have access to a used dual relief case for $50.00. This is a budget project, but want it to last, it will see many more miles than the buggy. Should I rebuild the heads?,or just buy new ones? Want to know others experiences. I will probably use a 110 engle cam, and a counterweighed crank. Thanks for any input.
tpinthepack

1986 and counting

Post by tpinthepack »

My 1915 was line bored in Tampa Fla, in 1986. I didn't weld behind number 3 cyclinder, just opened it up. Never had a crank or bearing problem yet. I would trust Rimco of anyone, they have been around a long time. When I read the Gene Berg articles in the mid 1990's, I was worried that my engine would give me trouble, and it has not. I credit the tooling and experienced shop for mine. A bad shop could butcher the case.
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

If the case has never been overheated go ahead and machine it as needed. When the case has been overheated is when they can't be trusted.