Valve lash specs.

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
Gene-C

Valve lash specs.

Post by Gene-C »

Hey guys, I have a Stock 1500 I think (you know the one that goes 80MPH...) I decided to adjust the valves for the first time today. I understand how to do it and I have a book but the book doesnt give the clearance. It says to look on the fan shroud. Anyway. I dont know what the clearance should be. :help: Thanks
shaihulud

Post by shaihulud »

Usually the spec is 6 thou on both inlet and exhaust. My factory trained VW mechanic for my first Beetle said that the inlets should be 6 thou and exhausts should be 8 thou. That makes for a bit of rattly noise but it also means, according to him, that you will never burn out an exhaust valve. I have done that for years and I have never had exhaust valve problems. If any of the exhaust valve tappets close up and change the sound that they make, you will hear it and then you can readjust them. In many years of Beetle engines I have never needed to adjust the valves. I check them often and they are always just right.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Richard, Thank you for your response. I just want to be sure everything is OK for the Manassas run. My engine rund great. I can hear the rockers tapping. Its not too loud but I thought I might quiet them down alittle. After reading your post, I will be sure not to go below 6 for intake and 8 for exhaust. Thanks