Mel Hubbard's new Kubelwagen...

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
manxdavid

Mel Hubbard's new Kubelwagen...

Post by manxdavid »

Image Image Image Yeh Baby!!!! Lookin' good mein Komandant!!!
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
90volts

Post by 90volts »

awesome. are you sure you're not going to go in buisness with it?
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

I agree. seems a shame to go thru all that work and not sell copies... Looking Vey Nice!!!
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

[QUOTE="90volts"]awesome. are you sure you're not going to go in buisness with it?[/QUOTE] Didn't plan a large production run,,, the molds for that Kubel were taken from a clone which i restored back in December. The original (clone) was made for an Indiana Jones movie in 89,,, these kits were also used in the movie ,A Bridge Too Far. The one in the pics is the first out of the molds,, No 2 is for myself which i plan to chop around a bit to make it more authentic looking,,, like folding windshield etc,,, also made molds for the Notek black-out lamp and German helmets to go with it :crazy: I appreciate your comments along with Daves & Scotts :drinking: As for your choice of LWB VW kits to purchace,,, the MANXSTER has to be the TOPS, IMO. Back in 97 i saw the early stages of Bruces Manxster (to be) plug in SWB form,,, it was obvious to me that when finished it was going to be a real snappy looker. Lots of plugwork, headaches and a few years on ,, he did it. There is no doubt about it ,,, BM did what no one else had ever achieved with LWB buggies,,,, that was to design & build the coolest best looking LWBs ever,,,,The Manxster. GO GET ONE :rock: swap ya for all the T82 moulds if ya dont like it :D Von Hubbard.
bobmanx

Post by bobmanx »

Mel, The Kubel body looks great! Is it anything close to the one that Bruce made, and that Andy Felix from Up Yer Bug has now? Any ideas as to selling them? And what it might cost with shipping it agross the pond? Thanks, Bob AKA: Bobmanx Image
shaihulud

Post by shaihulud »

Well done Mel. I await the pics of the finished car. Richard.
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

[QUOTE="mel hubbard"]the MANXSTER has to be the TOPS, IMO. Back in 97 i saw the early stages of Bruces Manxster (to be) plug in SWB form,,, it was obvious to me that when finished it was going to be a real snappy looker. Lots of plugwork, headaches and a few years on ,, he did it. There is no doubt about it ,,, BM did what no one else had ever achieved with LWB buggies,,,, that was to design & build the coolest best looking LWBs ever,,,,The Manxster. GO GET ONE :rock: swap ya for all the T82 moulds if ya dont like it :D Von Hubbard.[/QUOTE] You recon the Manxter looks even better than this then??? :eek: Image ps Don't tell Pete, he loves Californian Buggies!!!
"Wise men talk because they have something to say, fools because they have to say something." (Plato)
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

[QUOTE="Manxdavid"]You recon the Manxter looks even better than this then??? :eek: Image ps Don't tell Pete, he loves Californian Buggies!!![/QUOTE] DAVE,,, WAS THAT BUGGY KIT DESIGNED BY RAY CHARLES,, BLINDFOLDED?? :help:
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

[QUOTE="Bobmanx"]Mel, The Kubel body looks great! Is it anything close to the one that Bruce made, and that Andy Felix from Up Yer Bug has now? Any ideas as to selling them? And what it might cost with shipping it agross the pond? Hi Bob :hello: Andys Kubel is real nice & molded from an original T82,,, I ate its dust in Baja 98 :rock: The one i molded from was a clone that had changes made,, like dummy rear doors,,fixed windshield frame & the front fenders continue down lower on the front edge,,,,, although all of this can be changed back easy to make it look more authentic,,,, i guess they fooled the movie goers. Back in November after purchasing the movie prop Kubel i spent many hours just looking around it,, trying to figure out the best method of molding it,,,,thinking there must be a better way than the way it had been made originally. The best method i could come up with was to get a steel frame made up that would bolt to the VW chassis,,, then mold all the outer & inner panels and fix them to the strong frame,,,,,, the guy that was going to fabricate this frame let me down (typical). So i put a post on here to find out a bit more about the Meyers Kubel,,,, hoping that maybe Dave Deal or Andy Felix had an exploded veiw of molds & parts for that kit,,,and how it was molded,,,ie split molds,,joins etc. As no reply came,, i had two choices,,, one was to go to Cal and visit Andy & his Kubel,,, armed with pen n paper (wife thought that was a poor excuse for a holiday though :cry:) second was to make the thing as it had been originally,,, then sell the movie prop one on,,,, which is what i did. I would still love to know the method used in molding that Meyers Kubel,,, there are so many ways to do it,,, but i cant help thinking BMs way would have been best. Any information (other than what was put in Manx mania) would be greatly appreciated guys :drinking: Wonder who has the Meyers Kubel molds now????
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

[QUOTE="Bobmanx"]Mel, Any ideas as to selling them? And what it might cost with shipping it agross the pond QUOTE] Think it would be far too much ?$?$?$ to ship those big ol lumps across the pond. See if you can locate the Meyers type 82 molds,,,maybe i could come over and mould a few up with Bruce at his place :cool: i learnt so much from him,, but never fulfilled my penultimate buggy dream of working along side of him on the tools. The ultimate being racing alongside N beating him in Baja :D :D
buggypete

Post by buggypete »

i do like californians ,but my ff mk3 is my all time favourite.despite it looking very shabby.mel s,kubel suffers from the unfortunate situation that most of the people who say they want one never have any money.mel can not survive on resin fumes alone
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

Only kiddin' Pete!!! :rock: You goin' on Sunday?... http://www.all-types.co.uk/
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

Mel Hubbard - Concerning the yellow buggy - don't you mean - "designed by Ray Charles while wearing oven mitts?" Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)
manxdavid

Post by manxdavid »

[QUOTE="Tom Kathleen"]Mel Hubbard - Concerning the yellow buggy - don't you mean - "designed by Ray Charles while wearing oven mitts?" Tom[/QUOTE] Stevie Wonder and Mr. Magoo did the back... Image If the truth be known they were a very well built kit and supremely practical for the British climate, just not too pretty from certain angles. I still see the guy who built them quite often.
mel hubbard

Post by mel hubbard »

[QUOTE="buggypete"]mel can not survive on resin fumes alone[/QUOTE] I have managed on those fumes since 99 now Pete :roll: and thats my excuse for talking such crap at times :crazy: Any news on those (Meyers Kubel) molds yet guys??? Maybe Dave Deals got them :confused: