Buggy tow

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
manxfwin

Buggy tow

Post by manxfwin »

Looked at the earlier posts on various methods to tow a buggy and was wondering if anyone had used the "U-Rental" dollie?Can you tow with the rear wheels on the dollie,do you need to secure the front wheels so they won't steer?I'm using this method to take my buggy in for the 4 wheel alignment,will use a conventional tow bar later on when it's up and running.I was using this set-up to take it only a couple of miles. Thanks for any info.
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

I'm sure your buggy will be fine being towed a couple miles as you describe. However for the price of renting a dolly you can buy a tow bar. Why aren't you flat towing the buggy to the alignment shop with a towbar?
90volts

Post by 90volts »

the only problem you might have is with the IDIOTS at uhaul. I picked up a dolly to pick mine up and towed it back no problems. the second time, i was taking it to a shop nearby. the girl over the phone for the reservation gave me a hassle about using a dolly. said i HAD to use a trailer! meanwhile, i am towing with an 88 suburban. and i am pulling a beetle without a body. does it get any easier than that? what the hell are they supposed to be for then? anyway, there was no talking to them so i was forced to do the trailer.
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

[QUOTE="90volts"]the only problem you might have is with the IDIOTS at uhaul. , there was no talking to them so i was forced to do the trailer.[/QUOTE] Dave, Sounds like another good reason to use a towbar. Why can't you use one?
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

[QUOTE="90volts"]the only problem you might have is with the IDIOTS at uhaul. I picked up a dolly to pick mine up and towed it back no problems. the second time, i was taking it to a shop nearby. the girl over the phone for the reservation gave me a hassle about using a dolly. said i HAD to use a trailer! meanwhile, i am towing with an 88 suburban. and i am pulling a beetle without a body. does it get any easier than that? what the hell are they supposed to be for then? anyway, there was no talking to them so i was forced to do the trailer.[/QUOTE] Around here U-haul and Ryder require you to rent a truck as well as a tow dolly regardless of what you have to tow with. I guess it's all about the :dollar: :dollar: :dollar: