Buggy ID???

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
Dune-Buggy-Archives

Post by Dune-Buggy-Archives »

Scott, No the opposite. I think it is a Shala because of the features. Not a Shalako. As for Corvair, I bought a corvair engine Imp two months ago. When I looked into the performance parts for it I got sick.:crazy: I sold it. I wanted a Corvair engine bad but, just and exhaust ugly black headers, was over $200. Front pulley $89.00 Pretty much double the cost of the VW part. So it better make double the HP. It all go back to how Fast can you afford to go. I don't see anyway you can build a Corvair for what you would have in a VW. How about a 2054cc dual 44's. Image Also the corvair engine would have to stick out of the back. This body was designed to be sleek, not look like a baja bug. Just my :2cents: John . [QUOTE=CairoManx]Stock carbureted Corvairs put out 80, 110 and 140 hp. Stock turbo'd put out 150 and 180 hp. They are built now days to put out 140 to 200+ reliable hp. You can probably get double the horsepower per dollar on a Corvair vs. a VW. http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/pages.cgi?category=vw[/QUOTE]
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

The optimum thing to do with the Shalako is set it up mid engine. I agree the Corvair engine is longer and heavier than a VW but its definitely a better bargain. You can find a running used 140hp for about $500. Turbo'd are about the same It will give you an honest 140, 150 or 180hp when you want it and still drive like a street engine. The equivalent VW will have a hot cam and big carbs and drive like a race motor. That's 2700 cc's! You can get all the expensive VW head work you want but the Corvair has 6 intake and 6 exhaust valves. They also have hydraulic lifters. The rear pulley is $90 because its a harmonic balancer. The closest VW equivalent Berg pulley costs more. Corvair engines have forged cranks and were designed by Porsche, just like VW. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CORVAIR-ENGINE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33615QQitemZ8029356954QQrdZ1 The manx that beat all the sports cars at Pikes Peak had a Corvair street motor. The engine below is turboed, 3187 ccs and mid engine mounted Image
shaihulud

Post by shaihulud »

Did you get the hovercraft as well?
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

I certainly wouldn't want to drive that thing in traffic. It has to have a huge blind spot. :eek:
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

[QUOTE="newmanx59"]I certainly wouldn't want to drive that thing in traffic. It has to have a huge blind spot. :eek:[/QUOTE] Actually there is a cut out for a rear window. Richard. No the hovercraft is still there.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

I decided to go VW all the way. mostly because I have all the parts already. Also, I dont know a thing about the Corvair engine. Even the pics posted here with the fan/pully above the crank pully confuses me. I have a similar fan/pully horizontal on the top of the engine... Body is off. Corvair chassis looking for new home (its not in bad shape).
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

The glass on this body is very thin (1/8") in places. Would adding glass to the underside before paint reduce the value or raise it? (looking at collector value).
newmanx59

Post by newmanx59 »

I wouldn't think it would hurt the value if it was done properly. It would help the value if it kept the body from having tons of stress cracks.
Dune-Buggy-Archives

SHALA GT ad found.....

Scott, New info just in on a Shala GT. In reviewing files from 1971 - 1979 in the archives storage I found a company called Fulton Engineering in Long Island NY. They advertisied a Shala GT. It looks just like Dick Dean brochure Shala but, it has Ridges on the rear cover! Looks like this might be the one! John Image [QUOTE=WuZaBuG]I posted a thread of this buggy before looking for information. I was told it could be a couple of defferent models. This buggy is home now. I bought it today. I'm hoping for a definate identification if possible. John, I bet you can come up with some info from your archives. Also, if you want better pics (if you need them) I can email them to you Full set of SW guages in the dash. even has the hours used guage... Thanks for the help guys.[/QUOTE]
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

John, :D You Are The Man:D That it exactly! Thank you figuring it out for me. Now... to find a top and gull-wing doors...:roll:
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Not splitting hairs, but it looks like it might be SHA "i" A. :confused:
Dune-Buggy-Archives

Buggy ID?

[QUOTE="Yellermanx"]Not splitting hairs, but it looks like it might be SHA "i" A. :confused:[/QUOTE] That could be a Typo or it could be a clever way to get around the use of the name "SHALA" that would have been owned by Dick Dean. Maybe this company was slick enough to make it a "SHAIA GT" Or since in 1968 typesetting was all done manually by a grunt, it could be a typo. Picked up the wrong letter out of the box. If we could just find someone that worked there. ??? John