Buggy ID???

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
Gene-C

Buggy ID???

Post by Gene-C »

I posted a thread of this buggy before looking for information. I was told it could be a couple of defferent models. This buggy is home now. I bought it today. I'm hoping for a definate identification if possible. John, I bet you can come up with some info from your archives. Also, if you want better pics (if you need them) I can email them to you Full set of SW guages in the dash. even has the hours used guage... Thanks for the help guys.
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

Shalako by Dick Dean. There is a full article in March 69 Hot VWs. I'll scan it and send it to you.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

[QUOTE="CairoManx"]Shalako by Dick Dean. There is a full article in March 69 Hot VWs. What's your email? I'll scan it and send it to you.[/QUOTE] no1srvc@aol.com Thanks here is a link to the first thread on this car http://www.meyersmanx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2756&page=1&pp=10 I think the dash is different but I cant really tell from the Shalako pics Cairo, Please sent that article. Need input...:D
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

I'll send the article. Here's a couple of Dick Dean/Shalako webpages. Couldn't get the last to open. http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/thehistoryof/4842/ http://www.showrods.com/showrod_pages/shalako.html http://www.shalako-registry.com/
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Thanks Ciaro, Looks like Im missing the hardtop and the window curtians... I also wonder what was supposed to go in the openings just in front of the rear tires. louvers?
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

Yours has scoops over the rear wheels. It doesn't look like the Shala1 or the later Shalako with the louvered engine cover had them. The scoops look like they were just open. The Shalako had gull wing doors that hinged up on a solid roof center section. You need to loose that roll bar. It looks like yours is sitting on a Corvair suspension and drive train with a frame fabricated from square tube. You might want to see if its feasible to lift the body off the frame and mount it on a Berrien type chassis. Keep the Corvair engine though, very cool. Dick Dean's original Shalako prototype had a Porsche RSK 1500 4 cam engine. I think the engine is worth about $100K now.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

[QUOTE="CairoManx"]Yours has scoops over the rear wheels. It doesn't look like the Shala1 or the later Shalako with the louvered engine cover had them. The scoops look like they were just open. The Shalako had gull wing doors that hinged up on a solid roof center section. You need to loose that roll bar.[/QUOTE] Cairo, I agree about the roll bar. Looks like it was supposed to have the roll bar enclosed in the rear cover. Thank you very much for the article. I can see now I am missing a few parts. The rear has been cut for that corvair engine. and the top and doors. Not much chance of replacing these items I would guess. I bought the car for the body. the Corvair Chassis and all related parts are getting tossed. I have a fresh shortened VW chassis to build this car on. I also see this car came with the SW guages. Thats cool as they are all still there and with the exception of the tach, in good shape. I understand there is a company that restores guages but I dont know who it is. Getting excited about the build. I have been after this car for about a year.:D
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

[QUOTE="CairoManx"]It looks like yours is sitting on a Corvair suspension and drive train with a frame fabricated from square tube. You might want to see if its feasible to lift the body off the frame and mount it on a Berrien type chassis. Keep the Corvair engine though, very cool. Dick Dean's original Shalako prototype had a Porsche RSK 1500 4 cam engine. I think the engine is worth about $100K now.[/QUOTE] Do you really think I should keep that motor? If so, how would I mate it to a VW tranny? THe motor looks to be in poor shape and missing the intake. I have a 1500 VW motor and all the parts required to build this car on a VW platform.
Dune-Buggy-Archives

Shalako or Shala....

Post by Dune-Buggy-Archives »

Obviously a Dick Dean car eithe way. The Rod and custom web page generalizes the dune buggy Dean designed as a Shalako. My research has shown that there was only one Shalako built. The original that was as last known still owned by Dick Dean. The original car was built as a full custom one off to run Baja. No one could believe that something styled that way would run at baja but it was really very well hidden under that sleak exterior. Image A couple of key things to note in this pic. The driver surrounded by fuel. The original car war a total tube frame with side tanks built in. The caps go through the body. The rear access was a falt rear panel that raise up. You can see the body line where the rear is seperate from the body. Scott's car has the tilt rear body section that is all one . The Shala had the rear tilt. The only brochure pic show the back designed a little different but that happened alot between brochure and production on some of these kits. I would still say it is a Shala. The gold buggy dash was cut up and reglassed very poorly into the center section by the way. I think it would have originally looked just like yours. Speculation on my part though. I do have a full cover story on the Shakalo from Rod&Custom in the Archives. I could try to find some time to scan it. Great find! Get rid of that cobbled chassis:drool: and put it on a Berrien Buggy tube frame with fiberglass floor! Would that rock!:rock: John
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

Its such a unique buggy I'd think real hard about keeping that big Corvair engine hanging out the back. You could change the cam to reverse the engine rotation and hang it on a 6 rib transporter transaxle. They have manifolds to mount a 4 barrel Holley.
Dune-Buggy-Archives

one more thing...

Post by Dune-Buggy-Archives »

Shalako also if you at the picture did not have a production windshield frame. It had body opening with three glass panels installed in the body. The production Shala had a framed production windshield. John
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Thanks for the input guys! John, Id love to have that article if you find time. I want to build this car as close to original as I can. Do you still want pics sent for your archives? Ciaro, I didnt think that engine was all that... I dont know anything about Corviars. What HP do you think it would produce? And how much money (roughly) for parts to rebuild it? If I went the VW route, I could replace the tranny and engine later when I get it built. Thanks again for the input!! This website is the best!!!!!
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

[QUOTE="dunebuggyarchives"]Shalako also if you at the picture did not have a production windshield frame. It had body opening with three glass panels installed in the body. The production Shala had a framed production windshield. John[/QUOTE] John, Not sure what you mean. I see in the pics on the first thread, the buggy was supposed to have a framed windshield. This one has a steel frame and aluminum trim rivited to it (I think). Are you saying this looks more like the original Shalako than the Shala kits?
Reverb

Post by Reverb »

[QUOTE="WuZaBuG"]Do you really think I should keep that motor? If so, how would I mate it to a VW tranny? THe motor looks to be in poor shape and missing the intake. I have a 1500 VW motor and all the parts required to build this car on a VW platform.[/QUOTE] Kennedy Engineered Products makes adaptor plates to mate a VW trans with about any engine that you specify. A friend just mounted a Chevy 350 to a VW trans. However, however he`s using a bus trans because it`s much stronger. http://www.kennedyeng.com/ One thing though, these guys have a nice product, but they get backed up with orders. You might have to wait about 6 weeks to get an adaptor. You just missed a good deal. Another friend just sold a VW to Corvair adaptor plate on ebay 2 weeks ago for 20 bucks.
CairoManx

Post by CairoManx »

Stock carbureted Corvairs put out 80, 110 and 140 hp. Stock turbo'd put out 150 and 180 hp. They are built now days to put out 140 to 200+ reliable hp. You can probably get double the horsepower per dollar on a Corvair vs. a VW. http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/pages.cgi?category=vw