ceramic coating

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
joemama

ceramic coating

Post by joemama »

I have the clubs sidewinder exhaust system, and have been very pleased with it, except that the coating has not held up well, the main problem is that some of the header runners were touching as they ran parallel to each other, and at these points they did not receive much or any coating, so these areas are rusting, and the rust runs down and stains. Because I keep the buggy outside, it makes it worse. I am explaining the problem so if you buy any ceramic coated system, you might want to check for this possibility. I have pried and bent the tubes slightly so they no longer touch, and am looking for a place to recoat my system. I am in the Los Angeles/San Fernando Valley area. Any referrals would be appreciated.
fubar

Post by fubar »

If I remember correctly, the people who coated my header recomended welding the "touch joints". I had them mask the joint where the silencer conected and they told me it would fail because "water would seep in" or something. The coating cost more than the header did so I tried it out first. So far it looks great. I would recomend cleaning up the header with a pollishing wheel before sending it out.
jsturtlebuggy

Post by jsturtlebuggy »

We use Rewarder Headers in Camarillo.
Joseph
Manx Club #1095
Having fun with Buggies since 1970
Worked in VWs in shops since 1970
Greg MGM

Post by Greg MGM »

I also used Rewarder headers, for the exhaust on my baja. Great finish, and has lasted many years.
Reverb

Post by Reverb »

The sidewinders that they sell in the Manx store are Hot-Jetted . Is that the same as ceramic coating?
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

[QUOTE="Reverb"]The sidewinders that they sell in the Manx store are Hot-Jetted . Is that the same as ceramic coating?[/QUOTE] From what I have been able to find out, yes. Could be wrong. :o