Out with The Old in With the New Exhaust

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
Mvovr

Out with The Old in With the New Exhaust

Post by Mvovr »

Well if I can just keep them from blueing..... from the look to the sound!!! :rock: I can't wait to get them muddy!!!!!:eek:
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Sweet look. I run trumpets too.
Mvovr

Post by Mvovr »

It is taking me a while to get used to the sound. I like it but it's way different. I can actually idle out of my neighborhood now. :D
jr_vw2

Post by jr_vw2 »

Are they very loud?? I have the same set up on my bugy but i have not ran it yet
Mvovr

Post by Mvovr »

Much deeper and quieter than the original Dune Buggy Exhaust. I had 2 neighbors thank me today for changing it. however when you get on it you know it's a performance system It's loud!!! The system I have is from CB performance and it packed with glass. The sound is really cool. I can take a didgital sound mini movie tomorrow and email it to you if you like. Planned on doing it anyway. :D BTW JR it was your buggy pics that helped me decide on my system. Your buggy looks awesome!!!
Gene-C

Mvovr

Post by Gene-C »

Just curious how the exhaust system is holding up? I've been looking at these too - my current set up must be cheap - the chrome is actually flaking off in two HOT spots (one on each side) and I'm getting some pitting and surface rust - of course I live in the Caribbean so the salt air probably doesn't help. This is probably a dumb question but I don't know the answer so here goes - does anyone make a similar set up but in Stainless steel? If not is there a reason why - sorry if this is an obvious answer but I don't know. Thanks..Josh
fubar

Post by fubar »

ceramic coating may be an option. It looks like 2-b stainless and stays that way unless you spill something on it hot. Holds up to salt air pretty well too.Image
Mvovr

Post by Mvovr »

I have discoloration at the first turns on all 4 exits. Not a big deal though. If my tuning was better they would have been fine. I love them so far!!!! :driving:
joemama

Post by joemama »

I have have the clubs ceramic coated Manx exhaust system, have had it about 1 1/2 years and I am disappointed with how it has held up, lots of surface rust, and has never been near the ocean. It has sat outside uncovered most of its life, been rained on. I will probably have it ceramic coated again, as that is better than paint. Anyone try Por 15 exhaust coatings?
dunebuggyjay

Post by dunebuggyjay »

Mvovr, I had those same exhaust pipes on my old buggy. They Sound and Look Awesome! I had them on for about 4 years. The only part that discolored were the pipes, not the trumpets. Do yours have the removable baffles? Mine were not, they were welded in. I had to repack them once, (and carefully gring out the tack weld holding the baffles in.... as she got pretty loud, and the tinny sounding. I've been planing on building another buggy. Those are my first choice! My current Manx, has an equal length header with a supertrapp, and it doesn't sound even remotely as nice as those dual pipes! I used to start up my old buggy at the cruize nights, and I would have people running over to see what it was that sounded like that. LOL Awesome -Jay
Mvovr

Post by Mvovr »

I get the same reaction at shows. It almost sounds like a small block with the mild cam I have. The baffles are welded in mine also and are not removable. As for the discoloration it is only at the turns exiting the heads. The trumpets are perfect. :D Definalty a first choice unless noise is an issue. My neighbors used to gripe a little about the noise until two of them bought new Diesel Ford Trucks. Now they leave me alone. :laugh1:
TMc2548

Post by TMc2548 »

Those are one of the exhaust options I'm looking at. Where did you get your set up? I see similar ones offered at JC Whitney.
fubar

Post by fubar »

How do the dual units compare to the 4 into 1 on the dyno?
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

When I first got my buggy running, I had a set of those pipes on my buggy. They look real cool, you can work around the rear of the engine, without getting burned and a good throaty sound, but after about a 75 mile off road run, my ears were still ringing, and while driving, I could not hear the CB or able to talk easily to my co-pilot. Went to a Tri-Mil quiet pack, much quieter. Same performance. :2cents: Jimbo
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

I have to agree with Jimbo. I had some similar to those on my buggy when I got it. First long road trip at a steady speed and my ears were hurtin. Then I got my dual Webers, tore off the old carb and manifold thinking I'd get to drive it that day. Guess what, exhaust in the way of the manifolds. Maybe they will work with yours. A week or two later when my new Manx club exhaust got here I got to test drive it. If you ever plan to have dual carbs or have them now, do a lot of looking before you buy an exhaust. :2cents: