How many Manxters have been sold?

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
Greg MGM

Post by Greg MGM »

Yup, I second that. Where are the manxter photos hiding?
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

C'mon Tom tell us how much you really spent on Kathleen's Manxter. When people ask me how much I spent on mine all I do is :laugh1: then:cry: .
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

I didn't spend a dime on Kathleen's Manxter. I have to pay for my Manx clone, she has to pay for her Manxter. :laugh1: It all goes back to my FVee racing days when she let me use some of the family funds on that car, and you can guess the rest of the story. I was a bad boy, so that is how we have worked it out since then. She may or may not want to answer the question if it is worded correctly. Tom
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

I gotta tell you I've had boats, motorcycles, motorhomes, you name it. But I have never been more excited about any of these type things than when I baught my Manxter a year ago. Building it , going to the club meetings, and just driving it around town is a lot of unusual fun. I think like with any hobby alot of the expense is you keep changing things around. Tires, gear ratios, etc.etc.. I tell my wife she better not complain about the money or I might go buy an old airplane:eek: .
Tom-Kathleen

Post by Tom-Kathleen »

Mark, You want to know what I spent on my car? :eek: Are you the kinda guy who asks a woman her age? or weight? :roll: Didn't your momma teach you anything? I have to say, I spent more than I needed to spend. I splurged on many things. Manxter kit, seats, with shipping $10,000 donor car with engine $ 1000 other accessories $ 5000 The fun of driving and and friends made.......PRICELESS :laugh1: LOL, I'm not done yet! Kathleen
Tom & Kathleen Iacoboni
# 1030
Vernon, CT
1968 Meyers Manx, 1971 Manxter S, 1972 KickOut SS (WIP)
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

I did'nt really expect an honest answer.I was just poke'n fun at you. It's the I'm not done yet stuff that can kill you! Hope to meet you guys in Lone Pine. Mount Whitney is the highest point in the continental US and I'ts always right there to see. Just a 100 miles away Death Valley is the lowest point in the us. The eastern Sierra is a beautiful area area to explore if you have time. A short trip up to Horseshoe Meadow from Lone Pine I believe is part of the John Muer trail. Lots of history.
Olli

Post by Olli »

Frankly, I would have to believe that the lack of Manxter sales is tied directly to the lack of marketing and advertising. I find it hard to believe that Meyers hasn't/doesn't have any ads in either Hot VW's or either of the kit car magazines. I have no idea if Meyers has ads in the sand/off road mags. Olli
Gene-C

Manxters

Post by Gene-C »

I don't think it is a market mistake on Meyers part. They did run ads in AutoWeek and that is a serious car guy/gal magazine, plus that BFG advertisement was all over. I think they have done a pretty good job but the demand just isn't there for a modernized, more costly Buggy (as cool as I think they are that is reality). We took a shot at going a step further and posting the manxter2plus2.com web site to gain market share and build completed cars, but in 9 out of 10 of the conversations with potential buyers it always came down to "what they thought a buggy should cost" and that always seemed to be about 10K. The kit alone is nearly 10K so builds have been tiny in numbers (like 5). I have to believe that nearly anyone, like myself, that wants to find out about a Manxter already knows about it. I don't think an ad in a VW mag would increase sales. Type in "dune buggy" in a web search engine and Meyers Manx comes up in the top 10. That is how the world shops these days. I rambling, but much like I say "I remember when gas was 1.00 a gallon" people seem to be set on dune buggies being dead cheap, fun cars that you screw together in a weekend out of a beater Bug, and they want the Manxter to be like the 200. buggy they see in the classified ads. They don't see the difference, and maybe some don't care. I always thought that as more went to shows and "were seen" that sales would pick up. They seem to be slowing down instead (at least on our orders). Luckily for me the Manxter wasn't about money. It was about a cool ride with history and even a chance to meet the designer. Screw the $, I've wanted one of these things since I was about 5. People ask how much it cost to build #9... I tell them, "All of it." but then again it crawls off road nearly as good as my 4x4, my kid loves it, it makes dang near everyone who sees it smile and it is comfortable at 80 mph plus on the highway. The Manxter fits my needs where a normal Manx would not, so there is a market for them... just seems like it is a really small one. As Kathleen said... as sorry as I am that the Meyers aren't going to be able to retire off the Manxter, I am happy I have #9 of what it seems like will be a very small number. Its gotta be more like 70 kits by now. We bought 2 kits in the 56(ish) range over a year ago. long story short... dune buggies are just a really tiny market. An even smaller market for one like the Manxter. I think we all get blinded from our loves of Buggies and start thinking everyone should have something as fun. We forget it is a sickness we have that others don't share (even between Manx and Manxter owners). :D I've even got the sickness so bad I'll likely buy another Manxter kit and store it for a father/son project for me and my 2 year old son later on. Imagine seeing that on eBay in 15 years (unbuilt Meyers Manxter). Think it would be big bucks? or who cares? Later all, Mike #9
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Maybe all of us club members should start a Bruce and Winnie fund raiser to give them a little shot in the arm? If there are over 2000 club members and we could all donate $100 thats $200,000. Who says they can't retire? For Christ's sake if it weren't for Bruce making that little red body 40 years ago maybe none of this would have happened. What's $100? 3 tanks of gas? I'm in. If for nothing else but just to say Thank You! Any comments?
manxter26

Post by manxter26 »

Mark, I agree with you 100%. I've heard so many negative comments about how much money Winnie and Bruce are making on the Manxters, how much they're making off the club dues, how much they're making off the club events, etc. and I don't think its true. And if it is, more power to them. Look at all the time they sacrifice and all the crap that Bruce has gone thru in his life, why would he want anything to do with dune buggies. I truly believe that if Bruce had not had that wild hair 40 years ago, this hobby and the industry that goes along with it would have never existed. Sure there would have been VW enthusiasts, and some type of offroad car, but not the Meyers Manx and all the clones that followed. I've also tried alot of different toys and for me and my family, there is nothing like going to a ManxClub event, being able to sit and talk with the man that started it all, and go out on a ride with a group of people that share the same desire to just go out and enjoy the cars and the challenges of the trail. The stopping and fixing and talking and making new friends is what its all about. I took a friend along on my first club event in Panamint several years ago. This guy is a diehard Jeeper and he just couldn't believe how friendly and open and helpful everyone was. He's still a Jeeper but he also has a glass buggy that he and his family use constantly. I'm rambling now but I do agree with you. I don't think you would get 2000 or even 200 to chip in and I'm not sure how you would even do it, but you can count me in. If you want to gather the money as a group effort or just find out the best way to make the check, probably not to the Manx Club or Meyers Manx inc., I would guess just to Bruce or Winnie Meyers. I have seen this on other sites where nobody is asking, its just the people that appreciate what has been provided to them, kick in a little to help. Hey, it might be just you and I, but I'm all for it. It doesn't have to be $100.00. Whether it is $5.00 or $500.00, Those of us that want to should show our appreciation. It doesn't need to be a contest and should be kept between each individual and the Meyers. I know Winnie would cringe if she was reading any of this, but I would like to see it happen. I think they deserve something more. Let me know how we should proceed and I'm open for comments also.
El-Lobo

Post by El-Lobo »

While I do agree with the fact that Bruce has put a lot of energy into the Manxter....He needs to sell product to make it profitable.... Here's my make on it...If every one in the club sends me only five dollars. Then I'll be able to afford the KIT and help them on there way.... Guys, for some of us who want it....It's just too cost prohibitive.... :roll:
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

I love the look of the Manxter and to those who have one you are lucky. I envey your acheivement and am glad that creativity is alive in this world of lookalike kind of cars. I live in Dallas and I get more comments than I ever thought. Most say things like I wish I had a Buggy to go to work or something like that. I have a long body style buggy and I love it. I have also had short style buggies and I loved them also. So long or short original or Manxter ( which is an original Manx style ) or towd or burro or Imp or what ever..........we have to remember the creator of the fiberglass buggy gave us more than a toy. Bruce gaves us a way of life and personal creativity, long live the KING. Neal
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Jay, Are you comming out to Lone Pine? Maybe we can talk about it more in person.
Siggymanx33

Post by Siggymanx33 »

While I will continue to support and defend the Meyers, I don't think that passing around a hat is the answer. I don't personally know them, but I am sure that the name Meyers and their accomplishments to date should take care of them well into their retirement. With regards to the Manxter, I agree with Manxter Mike 100%. People associate Dune Buggies with affordability. The manxter, as nice as it is, surpasses that price point in my budget by a few thousand. Nothing wrong with that, just makes it more exclusive. I work in advertising and marketing for the automotive industry and you may be suprised how much research goes into the affordability/percieved cost/price point analysis. It doesn't suprise me that they may have missed on this one. Or perhaps fiberglass manufacturing is way more expensive than I would realize. Either way, I don't feel the Meyers should be spoken bad of for the way they conduct business. On the other hand, I will give my donation to one of the many other charities that need it and don't have the ability to market a cool product to a willing audience. If times were tough, Bruce could sell 100 Siggys Tomorrow not to mention special editions, new bodies, repops of mono's, utility manxes, etc. My Two cents.