For those with little time to read

Buggy Buddies to the Rescue! Breakdowns, repairs, construction, all things technical.
Gene-C

For those with little time to read

Post by Gene-C »

http://aolsvc.edmunds.com/reviews/generations/articles/101211/article.html A quick history of the Beetle! With Bruce mentioned!: "The VW's popularity isn't what it used to be. Volkswagen is still the largest selling import by a four-to-one margin over its closest competitor, Toyota, but its share of the business has dropped considerably. In 1965, VW enjoyed 67 percent of the import market, but last year it dropped below 50 percent. We wouldn't want to be accused of crying wolf or anything like that, but if this continues, along about 1987 (dune buggy pioneer) Bruce Meyers and everybody following in his footsteps will have to start looking somewhere else for parts." ENJOY!
mightymanx

Post by mightymanx »

Maybe the popularity has dropped off due to poor workmanship and the ultra high cost of repairs to the new beetle. We purchased a new turbo beetle in 2001 and it has had more troubles than any other car I have ever owned. Check engine light has been on 28 times in 59,000 miles and the third break light lens has broken 14 times. It is bad when the service manger can recognize your voice on the phone. The only reason we have kept the car is because it is fun to drive (not as much as the manx) and my wife loves it.
dpauli

Post by dpauli »

New Beetles are junk! I bought one in ?99. The problems are too numorous to mention here. After 25 trips to the dealer I finally gave up and sold it to CarMax. They gave me $4200.00 for it. I ran to the bank with the check! VW should be ashamed. If anyone is thinking of buying one make sure you buy the BIGGEST warranty you can. You?ll need it. Just venting.
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

Hey Dave, Don't beat around the bush, tell it like it is. :laugh1: Are you going to the Bug Jam? If so hope to see you there. Chuck
tgodber

Post by tgodber »

We own 1 Golf (gas), 1 Golf (diesel), 1 Jetta ( diesel) and of course our Clone buggy project. These have been the best cars I have owned. Wouldn't buy a new Beetle.
gary dam

Post by gary dam »

WOW! We have 2 new beetles. The 1998 has 70K on it, and knock on wood, never had a single problem. Got 2005 convertible and so far no problems. We have always had VW and the only one we had any troubles with was the 1975 Rabbit. Just traded in a Passat wagon on the new GLI. It is just stupid fast and fun to drive. Now if I can get my Manx done. But if there are any problems with it, I only can blame myself for them. Gary
shaky

Post by shaky »

[QUOTE="tgodber"]We own 1 Golf (gas), 1 Golf (diesel), 1 Jetta ( diesel) and of course our Clone buggy project. These have been the best cars I have owned. Wouldn't buy a new Beetle.[/QUOTE] Isn't the new beetle based on the (Mk iv?) golf floorpan and running gear. :confused:
Gene-C

Post by Gene-C »

The New Beetle is indeed on the same platform as the Mk4 Golf & Jetta; as I always say, "It's basically a Golf with a round body......it's NOT a Beetle."